LegacyGT.com

Sti strut/springs retrofit fail

After reading about the compatibility of 2nd gen Legacy's and WRX/STi suspension, I decided to try KYB AGX struts with black STi springs on my '97 Outback. I was expecting a 1-2" inch drop, but the end result was more like 4-5", and now my OB is a lowrider. Arg! The rear tires are rubbing the fender with hardly any weight in the back. I didn't use the saggy butt spacers, but that really wouldn't be enough anyways. Did I miss something? Would standard WRX suspension been the better option here? I'm looking for something in betewen what is stock and what I have now. Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery/500/medium/CIMG0434.jpg

I am gonna guess that is your problem. also, lowering an OB the "right" way is not as simple as doing struts and springs. they actually have a body lift, read here: http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11517

That would explain it! Yowza, that's a lot of work and parts. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be purchasing GR-2 struts to match OE spec this weekend.

I didn't mean to suggest the spacers were responsible for the excessive lowering, just to make you aware of the "right" (though not 100% necessary) way to lower the OB. leaveing the spacers leaves the axles and suspension at not quite optimal angles, not a huge deal, but what CAN be problematic is the fact that your sump/trans pan/rear diff is even lower in relation to your body and more susceptible to bottoming out.

another thing, what size tyres do you have on your 17s? it could be that they are simply too tall. that said, i wish i could find a set of those......im also not completely sure on the differences between the stock STi struts and the AGXs, either way though, you should still have plenty of room left with the body spacers (even considering the outbacks have longer struts too).

heres how my non-outback sits with stock sti bits:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5236/img2416on.jpg

yours *should* be about the same

edit: here is a friend's outback, also on stock STi bits but with larger tyres (i cant remember the size though)

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5968_120615272187_554927187_2272836_2571510_n.jpg

obviously, closer clearance, but still enough

If you just slapped STI springs onto Legacy or Outback struts....that is your problem

The struts were from an '04 STi.

Those are 17s?

Those look like a 65 profile

If thats the case....maybe you should put the right size tires on the car lol

Actually, they are 215/55 17 which is exactly .012" diameter more than stock, and thanks for your "constructive" suggestion.

I didn't mean to suggest the spacers were responsible for the excessive lowering, just to make you aware of the "right" (though not 100% necessary) way to lower the OB. leaveing the spacers leaves the axles and suspension at not quite optimal angles, not a huge deal, but what CAN be problematic is the fact that your sump/trans pan/rear diff is even lower in relation to your body and more susceptible to bottoming out.

another thing, what size tyres do you have on your 17s? it could be that they are simply too tall. that said, i wish i could find a set of those......im also not completely sure on the differences between the stock STi struts and the AGXs, either way though, you should still have plenty of room left with the body spacers (even considering the outbacks have longer struts too).

heres how my non-outback sits with stock sti bits:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5236/img2416on.jpg

yours *should* be about the same

edit: here is a friend's outback, also on stock STi bits but with larger tyres (i cant remember the size though)

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5968_120615272187_554927187_2272836_2571510_n.jpg

obviously, closer clearance, but still enough

Thanks for the well thought out feedback. It's clear to me that I could make this work, but ultimately I don't think these struts will get me the desire ride height I was hoping for. BTW, great looking cars!

• I Donated
Did you actually read my original post?

Actually, they are 215/55 17 which is exactly .012" more than stock. Do you have any well thought out suggestions, or do you just like boosting your post numbers with unhelpful jabber?

Yes I did read your orignal post.

KYB AGX struts are available for both the Outback AND the WRX. My question was a valid question to help figure out whats wrong with your car.

Now that I think about it, maybe you should just avoid modding your car. You obviously don't have the knowledge to do it right, and you want to be a dick when someone offers help (even though you asked for it).

Go back to the kitchen where you belong.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Yes I did read your orignal post.

KYB AGX struts are available for both the Outback AND the WRX. My question was a valid question to help figure out whats wrong with your car.

Now that I think about it, maybe you should just avoid modding your car. You obviously don't have the knowledge to do it right, and you want to be a dick when someone offers help (even though you asked for it).

Go back to the kitchen where you belong.

My bad. They were from an '04 STi. Once again, thanks for the constructive advice.

• I Donated
My bad. They were from an '04 STi. Once again, thanks for the constructive advice.

So you are using OEM (or equivalent) 04 STI struts and springs right?

The spacers on the Outback do not have anything to do with the problem you're having.

And your tires are a little more then .2 inches bigger then stock.

I don't remember what stock Outback size is, but I run 205/55/16s on my Outback. Your 205/55/17 tires are exactly 1 inch bigger in diameter then the 16s (that are stock size for 02 - 04 WRX and BD LGTs).

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

It looks like your problem is coming from two things.

1 - your tires. put 205/55/16 tires on there and you probably wont have any more problems

2 - lack of saggy butt spacers.

Another option is that you got some VERY worn out springs. Do you know what kind of mileage the springs have on them?

My current OB setup is 02 WRX struts w/ lowering springs on 205/55/16 tires (chassis spacers are still in the car). I have no issues on my setup. The ride height difference between WRX and STI struts is little to none.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

So you are using OEM (or equivalent) 04 STI struts and springs right?

Yes.

The spacers on the Outback do not have anything to do with the problem you're having.

And your tires are a little more then .2 inches bigger then stock.

No. They are a little more than .01" bigger (stocks are 205/70 15).

I don't remember what stock Outback size is, but I run 205/55/16s on my Outback. Your 205/55/17 tires are exactly 1 inch bigger in diameter then the 16s (that are stock size for 02 - 04 WRX and BD LGTs).

I'm running 215/55 17 which is almost 1.5" bigger.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

It looks like your problem is coming from two things.

1 - your tires. put 205/55/16 tires on there and you probably wont have any more problems

I was hoping to avoid a speedo reading change by doing that.

2 - lack of saggy butt spacers.

Another option is that you got some VERY worn out springs. Do you know what kind of mileage the springs have on them?

Roughly 100K. Would I gain anything by finding newer ones?

My current OB setup is 02 WRX struts w/ lowering springs on 205/55/16 tires (chassis spacers are still in the car). I have no issues on my setup. The ride height difference between WRX and STI struts is little to none.

yes, but the stock outback size is larger than the stock non-outback. while i have plenty of clearance with 205/55R16s, with the stock outback equivalent i can definitely see where there could be clearance issues in the rear. regarding the speedo, the difference at highway speed (around 60mph) should only be off a couple mph at most, but would be reading faster while going the same speed (so going 60 it would look like 62-63).

It's too bad, because it actually looks pretty good. Even if I made the changes to the tires, I'm not sure I'd still have the support needed for 4 bikes and guys headed to our next big race.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery/500/medium/288906_2291250997670_1140846883_32733407_921157_o.jpg

true, that might get a bit too saggy and cause more rubbing...slightly lower profile tyres would definitely help with clearance, but if you are going to be hauling that much you will definitely have a little sag. ive had 4 passengers in mine before and it was definitely noticeable, but i wasnt rubbing. how much weight total do you think you would be dealing with?

off topic....man, i really wouldnt mind a set of those 17s, one of my favorite wheels

Let's just say that there have been times when I've loaded it down to it's max capacity. Besides going to races, I use it as the family truck when we go camping. Family of 4, 90# dog, fully loaded roof box, cargo platform on the hitch receiver... You get the idea.

I'm with you about the wheels. The only other I'd prefer to have are the gold v.7 JDM wheels :)

Archived