LegacyGT.com

Broken Front Swaybar!?

Anyone ever BROKE a swaybar? Was being followed by my girlfriend in my outback today and saw something hanging down from the front of the car in my rearview mirror. When we reached our destination I inspected and saw... It was snapped in two!? I'm wondering because I've never seen one snapped under normal circumstances. Regular DD car, zero track time, minor spirited driving.

Rallitek front bar, 2008 OBXT.

What I saw in the rearview.....

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/obk25xt/outback%20xt/IMG_1943.jpg

What I saw when I inspected.....

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/obk25xt/outback%20xt/IMG_1945.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/obk25xt/outback%20xt/IMG_1947.jpg

at least you have an excuse to get a new beefy one! :)

I thought this one was the new beefy one....

Perhaps there was some impact or incident that you don't know about.

Possible but very unlikely, I bought the car brand new, Installed the sways myself, and there are some but very few times that an impact that would do that kind of damage would have occurred. Dealer service visits, a few trips to the tire shop, and my girlfriend driving it.

The after-market bar broke? Call Rallitek for a new one..

That is my plan, I hope they will stand by their product. Looks like I need to dig through my receipts.

^^^^^pics are up....

maybe just me but there is no grease on the broken part but it surrounds the holder.

I totally agree with you seems a little odd. Since there's some rust on the break I assume that it's been broken and dangling for a little while, maybe long enough for the grease to be washed off? I dunno. Also, I drilled/tapped/installed the grease zerks myself. They don't protrude more that about 1/16" into the bushing, leaving plenty of (bushing) meat there (no interference). The bushings came with no provisions for greasing them. Before making them greasable I'd have to take them apart and grease them every season or they would start to squeak.

Found this on their website... After I sent them an email.... :rolleyes:

Guarantee: A Risk-Free Opportunity RalliTEK is so confident that you will like our anti-sway bars, we offer you a 100% satisfaction guarantee — or your money back. If your RalliTEK sway bar fails for any reason, at any time, due to defects in parts or workmanship, we will replace it free of charge.

You say your girlfriend drives your car often... I wouldn't put it past my wife to do something to my car that she " "forgot" to mention to me.

Which is why she doesn't like to drive it, lol.

Oh there have been some things that have mysteriously happened to the car that were later explained. Little curb rash here and there, among a few other minor things. Still though I'm fairly sure she is not at fault for the swaybar, truth is I'm not sure it is broken because of any operator error, honestly it just seems strange...... :confused:

It really looks like metallurgy failure.

+1 Has to be a manufacturing defect. No big deal: sh!t happens. Get Rallitek to replace it for you and you should be good.

I believe that if that had resulted from running over a curb or something that there would be other significant damage to the car.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived