LegacyGT.com

Octane Booster and Track Days

FireB

I was wondering this today.

Let's say that I have a perfectly knock free 93 octane pro-tune.

I want to go do some track days.

Would it make sense to retard the timing just to make sure that your car will not have detonation during the sessions (Thinking constant high revving full boost will create a lot more heat that usual driving)?

or

If you put an octane booster for the 15 gallon in your tank, would it be sufficient enough for me to feel a little bit safer?

It would be so much easier for me to dump the Octane Booster than Reflash the ECU with a conservative tune.

What do you guys think?

I add a few gallons of race gas and richen my AFR for track events. It has helped a lot and I don't get knock for track days. The best option is to bring a laptop and check your learning view after each session. You absolutely do not want a severe knock event under those circumstances. :) A lot depends on the track too. On the slower, tighter track, I decrease the boost a bit too since there isn't as much time between WOT and the speeds are slower. it's easier to heat soak on the tighter tracks. If it's not a timed event anyway, there's no point in pushing the tune very aggressively.

I plan to run E85 in the spring so I'm looking forward to the extra safety, performance, and cooler burn that provides.

-Franz

Hmm, so I guess making the AFR Richer would be the easiest way huh?

You take double caution and use a race gas also!!

Nice, that's good to hear.

I was thinking Octane Booster won't be enough safe guard.

Thanks for the input!

As a quick fix, I have used octane booster one time I got a bad batch of gas. My LV looked horrible shortly after a fill up. I added some octane booster and the learned knock slowly faded away within the following 25 miles.

I would guess that octane booster may give you some slight protection against knock, but I would pull some timing and richen up the afrs on track day just to be safe.

As a quick fix, I have used octane booster one time I got a bad batch of gas. My LV looked horrible shortly after a fill up. I added some octane booster and the learned knock slowly faded away within the following 25 miles.

I would guess that octane booster may give you some slight protection against knock, but I would pull some timing and richen up the afrs on track day just to be safe.

Nice, will you help me if I were to go to track days!? :lol:

I still have to reset the O2 and copy of my ECU...

Been too busy these days.

Nice, will you help me if I were to go to track days!? :lol:

I still have to reset the O2 and copy of my ECU...

Been too busy these days.

I will be your pit crew..I want a headset and a mic so we could communicate! :)

Do your reset and all that other fun stuff after your trip..there is no rush, car is running fine.

Run alky, not one recorded knock event last track time.

Cept for one. I forgot to refill my alky before one session,.........:redface:.

Dumb question, but here it is. Are you spraying your meth on your 9? tune as the backup or just runing your meth map? I am spraying my meth right now on my 93 tune untill I know its safe with the colder temps. I switched out my Mid and Y pipe and am still runing the same pro tune.

Run alky, not one recorded knock event last track time.

Cept for one. I forgot to refill my alky before one session,.........:redface:.

So you are saying use Meth as in installing a kit or mixing it with the gasoline?

I will be your pit crew..I want a headset and a mic so we could communicate! :)

Do your reset and all that other fun stuff after your trip..there is no rush, car is running fine.

Hehe, what are you talking about?

We both are going to the track days!

We just have to be on a different session since after your swap, we are gonna be pretty even on the power.

Rest is our ability to drive!

I use my meth on my meth tune.

The thing is heatsoak doesn't affect me. 30 mins of WOT is as knock free as 30 secs.:)

I am talking 50/50 water/meth injection, not mixed with gas.

Thanks LBGT.

I always contemplated about meth but for some reason, I always back off.

People say it is easy and safe but I just can't do it!!

Maybe I'll take a better look at it!

Archived