LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

got this in the post last week, can log fine with ecu explorer but can get it to work with romraider.

Win 7 installed the drivers for it for me. Is there any drivers or additional software i need to use to get it working?

I have an ECutek flash on mine, maybe thats causing a problem

Which is the best software to use for data logging on these Legacy's?

Works great! Got it working with RomRaider, anyone new to this: note that you MUST have the definition files loaded for it to work. EcuFlash must have the green connectors under the glovebox plugged to read or write. Latest drivers for FTDI cable should work with baud changed. Works with Windows 7 64-bit AFAIK

Works great! Got it working with RomRaider, anyone new to this: note that you MUST have the definition files loaded for it to work. EcuFlash must have the green connectors under the glovebox plugged to read or write. Latest drivers for FTDI cable should work with baud changed. Works with Windows 7 64-bit AFAIK

Do you still change the baud rate to 9600 for Win 7?

2.06.02 is the latest drive i can find

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

Will try this again tonight

• 2 months later...

After a few hours of messing around, I finally got EcuFlash and RomRaider working with my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. It was kind of a pain, but thanks to the info here and on the RomRaider site I was able to get everything going.

- I'm using the cable with the blue connector and silver wire. Purchased from seller gameadvance. Item description: "VAG-COM USB KKL 409.1 cable for AUDI VW OBD2 OBD 2".

- Used EcuFlash 1.42.2595. Used the drivers packaged with the installation \program files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\drivers\x86\openport2.inf. Didn't try the Windows 7 drivers.

- probably known by everyone (except me), but if you have a recent Cobb AP (mine is a V2), you will not be able to read the ROM using EcuFlash with the AP still married. I had to uninstall the AP before I could even read the ROM.

- Learning View works no problem out of the box

- RomRaider is kind of a pain. I had to use 0.5.3BetaRC6 and the 32-bit java JRE. The windows installer would not work. After you choose the options to install, it just freezes. I downloaded the windows .zip instead. Unzip that baby in the x86 program files directory and edit the run.bat file in the install directory. Change the java.exe path to c:\"program files (x86)"\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe. If you try and run it using the default 64-bit java, it starts up, but you can't select COM ports nor can you connect to the ECU.

All the above information is around on various forums, FAQs and whatnot, but I thought I'd summarize it here.

Edited by Chief_Wiggum

• 1 month later...

got my cable for like $9.50 including shipping from hong kong. took 9 days. awesome deal.

blue connector, blue cable. i think the guy had the most on ebay, user metapark.

works flawlessly. plugged in and used drivers found from a link in this thread- got the newest ones. OS windows 7.

set baud to 4800, newest version of learning view worked fine from get-go. romraider (newest) worked fine for logging. ecuflash (newest) worked fine.

100% success, short of the fact that I now have an improperly tuned car that needs lots of tinkering :)

• 2 weeks later...

Related question....

Using SSM, lumberjack and treehugger,

Is it bad to have the vag-com cable plugged in permanently/all the time ?

I know the little blue light stay on, after I shut the car off, other than just draining the battery, any other ill effects ?

Thanks

I haven't had a problem leaving the cable plugged in, but then I drive my car everyday. I also leave my Openport 2 plugged in and have left the car for 3+ days and had no problem. The OP2 uses more power than the VAG-COM in comparison.

I haven't had a problem leaving the cable plugged in, but then I drive my car everyday. I also leave my Openport 2 plugged in and have left the car for 3+ days and had no problem. The OP2 uses more power than the VAG-COM in comparison.

Thanks, hard wiring it in, and wanted to make sure it wasn't going to cause a problem. Much obliged.

Jay

Greets! I've been successful with Learning View and the RomRaider Logger with my new E-bay cable, which to me suggests the cable and driver are good. The cable shows up correctly on COM12 in device manager and the baud rate is set to 4800. This is on an XP laptop.

ECUFlash is being a PITA though- there are no options to select COM ports and the text at the lower right says "No Vehicle Interface". I've tried both the latest version (1.42) and the earlier preferred 1.29- both are same.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Nevermind. For the record, I'm having success with the VAG COM cable from E-bay seller 'chiltonsondemand' [Recommended! US-based, fast shipping, good feedback. More expensive than the Hong Kong sellers, but faster] using the latest (1.42) version of ECUFlash. The key to my eventual success was using the drivers that came with ECUFlash- not the ones supplied with the cable or the ones downloaded from the chip maker.

• 2 months later...

i got my kkl 409 vagcom cable today. i can log with romraider and conect with ecu explorer. but cant read the rom with ecu explorer or ecuflash. have the bit rate set at 4800 port set to com1. have tried 1.29a and the newest ecuflash. tried the drivers from this page. and the ones with ecuflash. the botom right of ecuflash says the the cable is vag kkl007 when i press read it just says cant connect to open port. 02 edm wrx. in test mode with fans going. have tried with and without the flash block jumped (4 wire)

please help a noob. just wanna read my rom image for now

You need to use the older version of EcuFlash. The newest is looking for the Openport 2 which does not use the COM port.

Uninstall everything with the cable attached, start with EcuFlash then the drivers in Device Manager. Reboot.

Install the old EcuFlash. Plug in the cable and select the drivers for openport1.3 from the EcuFlash driver directory.

• 2 weeks later...

have being tring to get this to work all week.

im using 1.29a ecuflash. have the dricers installed. i can log with romraider. but still no luck with ecu flash. every time i try to read teh rom it stops at get kernel version. even if the cable is not plugged into teh car. it stops at the same point. so im guessing its not getting far enough to even find the car.

have being tring to get this to work all week.

im using 1.29a ecuflash. have the dricers installed. i can log with romraider. but still no luck with ecu flash. every time i try to read teh rom it stops at get kernel version. even if the cable is not plugged into teh car. it stops at the same point. so im guessing its not getting far enough to even find the car.

Is the ROM stock or has it been Cobb'd? You can only read stock ROMs with EcuFlash.