LegacyGT.com

100K+ on same turbo engine = discount?

Looking at a 4th generation Legacy with over 100,000 miles on it. Getting a pretty good price for it, but I'm concerned that the engine hasn't been replaced, because I've read the turbos have a much higher failure rate than the regular 2.5's.

While I doubt the dealer will replace the engine, fair to argue a 2-3K price drop, as i'll have to replace the engine within 24-36 months?

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/Doge+is+love.+Doge+is+life+_97499ca8000b7d715d937869e856e68e.png

Are you serious? Since when does 100K+ miles = discount? How do you know the engine will be toast in 2 to 3 years? Even if that cars runs for 2 or 3 years post purchase have you not gotten your money's worth? Since when is NOT having the engine replaced a metric of good or bad buy?

*turbo* Legacy engines have a significantly higher failure rate than other 4th generation Legs after 100K miles. Parts+labor for these average $5K. So if the real price on a 12K will actually be 17K after 2-3 years, that might influence my purchase.

It was just a question....

256k. Original motor, original seals. Just now have. Minor leak from the oil pan seal. On my 3rd turbo. All replaced around 100k before something went wrong.

If the cat is well maintained I see no reason for a discount. Check repair hostoru before you buy it though!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

There are some cars here who are still on their original turbo and motor. It's possible
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

*turbo* Legacy engines have a significantly higher failure rate than other 4th generation Legs after 100K miles. Parts+labor for these average $5K. So if the real price on a 12K will actually be 17K after 2-3 years, that might influence my purchase.

It was just a question....

Oh my bad for being so brash earlier you are actually thinking very logically. And in that case yes one could factor in a potential engine change down the road. You not saying you want them to knock off $5K you saying is the overall potential cost of the car worth it should the worse case occur.

Got it sorry it was a Doge day :lol::redface:

Archived