LegacyGT.com

Another 5eat to 6mt/5mt swap questions. (05+ LGT) thread

crrider80

A guy on here has done it... and had a shop do everything. Said it was around 10k for everything. But that was with buying a brand new STI transmission to. So Im sure if you could find parts used for a lot cheaper.. it would cost a lot less. Ive put together a list of everything that I think would need to be done. And I calculated it around 7500-8k in parts and labor. But just guessitmated on the labor.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a lot of coin on a car worth $8k-10k which is what an 05lgt is worth these days. :(

I will have to discuss with our custy and see what route to go on it.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Im interested in swapping my 08's. Any advice beside the typical electrical gremlins and crossmember BS? I dont know if they changed any mounts and what not in 08 compared to 05.

Theres a local 05 lgt 5mt thats being parted out... I inquired about the tranny, clutch pedal assembly, master cyl, shifter housing and linkages, and driveshaft. Ill be reading up some more...

I believe the 05-09 transmissions should mount up the same, but I have not confirmed this. Though when it comes to fabrication, a transmission mount is not nearly as difficult as other things.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You would just need the dash harness, ecu, cluster, etc from the donor car as well.

But everything mechanically will bolt right up.

Also anyone interested all the swap stuff just shoot me a pm. I'll unload it wayyy cheaper than you guys have priced it out...

Edited by naCAnItihS

All has to come from the same car too... if not.. car wont start. Theres a thread on here where you grind down the neutral safety switch in order for the car to behave like a manual. But one of the lights on the dash will stay on. Not to sure on the exact details (it was a lil over my head... and kind of didnt understand it) but getting everything from the same car is prolly the best option. Edited by DRoc7822

• 3 months later...

thats uh .. backwards .. this is about auto to mt conversion ..

we can start another thread for mt to auto conversion witch is of coarse the smart thing to do.:hide:

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, you need to fab a custom trans-member, but it can be done.

In addition to that answer for @grinchy, I'm still confused on the wiring side of things for this swap.

I thought that 05-07 weren't CAN bus cars?

Did the ECU end up being needed to be swapped with one from a MT car?

If not needed, would it otherwise be a good idea, or just a waste of money?

Whats the consensus on a cluster swap, it's only needed to eliminate the CAN bus error?

05+ cars are can bus.

acording to throttle happy you can load a sister rom from a manual car into a auto car. and this can be done with a working auto trans ahead of time.

Running the original auto ECU, original cluster. Once the TCM is unplugged, all the tranny related lights in the cluster go away, as does the lighting around the P R N D 2 1 on the cluster. Wiring is very simple doing it this way.

You will lose cruise control and get an ERR that displays on the odometer. This goes away when you toggle through the trip logs on the odometer but pops back up when you are done.

The cluster is identical other than the PRND21 on there. Nobody every notices it. Most people can't believe the car is not a manual from the factory.

70K miles running the car this way and it has been great.

The problem with not having cruise and having the odometer with an error is an issue that as a professional installation can't be something that goes out the door unfortunately. I have yet to see a professional installation done yet on an 05-09 from AT to MT.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Running the original auto ECU, original cluster. Once the TCM is unplugged, all the tranny related lights in the cluster go away, as does the lighting around the P R N D 2 1 on the cluster. Wiring is very simple doing it this way.

You will lose cruise control and get an ERR that displays on the odometer. This goes away when you toggle through the trip logs on the odometer but pops back up when you are done.

The cluster is identical other than the PRND21 on there. Nobody every notices it. Most people can't believe the car is not a manual from the factory.

70K miles running the car this way and it has been great.

ah cool .. the lights in the cluster related to the at are powered by the tcu haha ! its kinda cool, thanks for that heads up !

Yeah, when I unplugged that it made most of those go away. Nothing in the ecu will make a difference in the can bus error however you will need to turn p700 codes off related to the tranny. From what I can remember, when I compares the wiring diagrams of the manual and auto lgt, there were quite a few differences, especially when it came to the cruise control. The tcm seemed to play a big part in the cruise control on the automatic. Even the abs units were different from one to the other. Hence why I stopped the install where I did, instead of replacing half the car.

Well try to load a manual rom ingot a good feeling that will take care of the issue .

Well in the case of ESP's car it may be more difficult as the level of modifications (hybrid speed density etc:wub:) would make it challenging to patch to a sister rom and retain these advanced capabilities. Although I suppose for the sake of testing it could be done.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well if it was done to the manual rom to begin with it would be fine also .

But if it wasnt a big deal to try it would help the community