LegacyGT.com

Brake dust issues?

Does the 05 Legacy GT have bad brake dust issues on the wheels? The one I drove last night seemed to have more than its fair share of brake dust on the rims. I'm sure ceramic pads would correct that, but I'm just worried my wheels are going to be black by the end of the week just like with the BMWs.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Mine get dirty, so ya clean them. Simple as that. Worse when you drive in wetness, if it's mostly dry out, not that bad IMO. Oh well.

You can always wax the wheels and that does help keep the crap off of them.

If you really want to, throw some different pads in like Carbotech Bobcats, I'm told they're low dusting.

Wax wouldn't last two days on wheels. Its too fragile and the heat alone would remove it. I just don't want my wheels to look nasty when the rest of the car looks so good. I don't want to have to wash my wheels every day either.

I've got a product that was sent to me for testing that I never really got a chance to try out. Its called 'Rim Ice'. Its supposed to do something to the static that builds up from the tires and attracts most of the dust. Maybe I'll finally have a chance to see if it is as good as they say it is. They say that they are a supplier for VW and BMW. Those are two of the worst brake dust vehicles I've ever seen. The 350Z is right up there too. They just need to make silver brake dust and all my problems would be over. lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

Or get some anthracite wheels. ;)

They do make wheel waxes, I don't remember who makes it though, it has to be a synthetic though with the neat as you noted, heck, even natural waxes on a dark car won't last long in the summer.

I've read reviews on wheel wax. I've never actually used it, but people who have say that using a synthetic sealant like Klasse or Zaino works better. I've been operating a detailing business on the side for the last 7 or 8 years now and I've tried lots of stuff to deal with brake dust. Putting stuff on the wheels only makes them easier to clean. It does offer some protection as well, but it really doesn't reduce the amount of brake dust that much.

I like that they aren't 32 spoke wheels or something like that. That will make them much easier to take care of. I guess we'll just see how bad it gets out here.

OCDETAILS BLOG

It does get covered up pretty well after some time. I did wax mine too, yeah, didn't help.

But it doesn't seem so bad. I just wash it when I can't stand it anymore. :)

Thankfully it's only 5 spokes to clean. Can't imagine having 10 spoke wheel, or try cleaning a BBS wheel. :D

That is typical for this time of year. Salt and water tends to create rust on the rotors. I think its just more noticable for us with the wide spoke pattern.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 month later...

I applied Four Star Ulitmate Paint Protection (its kinda like a wax, but its synthetic and lasts longer) to the wheels a few weeks ago when I painted the calipers. Since then the dust attraction hasn't been nearly so bad. I would suggest trying something like that. You can use any wax you want, but if you use a carnauba then you will probably have to wax them every couple weeks. The heat will break down the wax pretty fast.

There is a product called "Wheel Wax" that is supposed to work pretty well. Its basically just a synthetic paste wax for your wheels. It helps with the static that attracts most of the dust anyway and also helps make the wheels easier to clean.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Wheel Wax is straight caranuba, IIRC.

As for swapping pads, not sure that is a good answer. I used EBC GreenStuff with new EBC rotors on my old car as I had white wheels and wanted to cut down on the dust. Within four months, all four rotors were warped to the point that I had to get new rotors and new pas (not EBC this time). I suspect the compound had something to do with warping the rotors, as it was only four months of normal commuting, no track time.

Wheel wax isn't carnauba. Here is more description about it. In ProperAutoCare.com's latest newsletter they sent an interview with the creater of Wheel Wax. He said that it is a synthetic product without carnauba. The term 'wax' is used loosely sometimes. Its not always used to imply carnauba.

OCDETAILS BLOG

The carnauba wax is going to be the most minor of ingredients. They use carnauba for a ton of stuff. Read the ingredients on your laxitives or Tic-Tacs next time you get a chance. Its the polymers and resins are what will last on the wheels and that is what makes it different from a car wax. I don't make the stuff, so I'm no expert on the molecular composition of the product, but I do know that it is made to be put on the wheels and I'm sure they took everything that your wheels go through into consideration when they made it. I wouldn't use a car wax on the wheels and I wouldn't use wheel wax on the car. I haven't used this stuff yet, so I can't really say more than that.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Wheel wax isn't carnauba........ He said that it is a synthetic product without carnauba......The term 'wax' is used loosely sometimes. Its not always used to imply carnauba.

Just admit you stand corrected!! :lol:

I was wrong too == I said pure carnauba. Obviously, it is somewhere in the middle. I have used WheelWax....it does a good job (smells like coconut!!).

We'll both just have to admit that we "might have been in error with some of our statements" and call it a day. ;) I'm never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken. ;)

The thing that surprises me is that it sounds like this stuff is used to clean the wheels as well. That surprises me. I would think that you wouldn't want brake dust to mix with this product as you apply it. Imagine if you were waxing nasty BMW rims or 350Z wheels after a week of driving. It would not be pretty...

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived