LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD's w/SpecB springs....06 LGT

jackfortune

My 06 LGT now has 154k, and it's time for new struts and springs. I want to install Bilstein HD's front (VE3-B831-H0 and VE3-B830-H0 ) and rear ( BE5-B832-H0 )...with stock SpecB springs. I know I need SpecB front top hats. What else will I need to make this work smoothly? I do not want to lower the vehicle...bad winter roads here in Maine...Any suggestions/advice appreciated...

THat is very old information - and likely wrong. My springs are solid black and a soft as every other stock 4th gen I've ridden in.

However as far as spring rates go who knows, they may be similar as people report that SpecB springs are soft.

You can search for pictures yourself, they are the same.

lol

I have a set of SpecB front top hats and a set of 06 SpecB springs with very few miles on them.....what else will I need to make this transition smoothly? I assume the Bilstein HD's will provide better performance....even with oem SpecB springs....

Now if you want to argue that the red and yellow paint blotches make a difference go ahead, I'd be happy to sell my springs at a premium price ;)

PM sent! ;)

Not trying to argue anything. Just thought I remembered posts from people swapping to Bilsteins having odd ride height using stock Legacy springs. Switching to factory spec b. springs fixed the ride height issues IIRC.

Spec.bs always ride higher because of the tophat issue... the people that switched to Bilsteins and complained about the front ride height we complaining about the tophat issue... (whether they knew it or not lol)

OP: if you have the spec.b top hats, the HDs are a direct bolt up part. You shouldn't need anything else to make it work. Although I think that many would highly recommend aftermarket springs - even if you choose a set that only lowers the car a small amount. The rallitek springs come to mind...

lol

"Although I think that many would highly recommend aftermarket springs - even if you choose a set that only lowers the car a small amount. The rallitek springs come to mind... "

/\ this,,the Bilsteins wont work all that well with the stock GT/specB springs.

Aren't the 06 oem LGT front springs different from the SpecB front springs? I believe the oem rears are the same?

You are right about the springs being different... Check it out.

Standard legacy part number for front coil: 20330AG02A

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_7/suspension_and_axle/front_shock_absorber/illustration_2/

Spec. B part number for front coil: 20330AG14A

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_12/suspension_and_axle/front_shock_absorber/

Standard legacy part number for rear coil: 20380AG01A

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_7/suspension_and_axle/rear_shock_absorber/

Spec. B part number for rear coil. 20380AG12A

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_12/suspension_and_axle/rear_shock_absorber/

So there you have it. I don't care if they look the same in pictures, the part numbers speak for themselves.

Good question....anyone know the answer? The question is what happens to the LGT height front and rear when SpecB springs are substituted for oem LGT springs....two scenarios....one with KYB GR2 struts (oem equiv for LGT) and the second with Bilstein HD struts....

so will USDM spec B springs lower or raise the car?

stock 05 lgt -> bilstein HDs + spec B USDM springs raises the car about 0.25" but the car stays reasonably level looking. I'm using the HD + spec B combo (need the ride height).

the springs are also definitly different. I had them side by side to compare during the swap. you can get the stock spring on to the new top hat, but it won't sit fully seated on both the top hat and the shock perch. the angle is just a little off.

stock 05 lgt -> bilstein HDs + spec B USDM springs raises the car about 0.25" but the car stays reasonably level looking. I'm using the HD + spec B combo (need the ride height).

the springs are also definitly different. I had them side by side to compare during the swap. you can get the stock spring on to the new top hat, but it won't sit fully seated on both the top hat and the shock perch. the angle is just a little off.

damn I'm looking for a little drop :(

Just curious with that setup how much stiffer is it compared to your stock 05 LGT struts/springs?

Archived