LegacyGT.com

Test drove an 05 LGT today

McGee

Went to the local Subaru dealership in town today and found an 05 LGT with 70k miles on it. It's a 5EAT, which is a downer but it's hard to find a manual let alone an LGT. They're asking 15k for it (I'm sure I can knock another grand or so off), and it has an extended waranty to 100k miles. I didn't get to REALLY drive it like I wanted to, but I got an idea of what's in store. I did notice however the steering seemed rather harder than most cars, is this due to AWD? And the brakes seemed non existent. I had to mash the peddle all the way through the floor it seemed like to stop. Is this normal? And what should I check for the next time I look at it?

Book the value of the vehicle and work your way up from the value, never from sticker down.

Steering is stiff yea, you like that?

Correct on the brakes as well, I had the dealership do an alignment and pad change up front; also took it to a tire shop and they said brakes were good. Just the way stock is.

Is it modded, Check carfax, maintenance recs, under the hood, fluids, undercarriage, feel how tranny shifts, etc. Check door / window seals.....everything. Inquire age of previous owner / reason for trade-in.

I was amazed at how light and nimble the LGT is out of the box. Perhaps the caster was off or something is bent in the suspension to make it off, but there's a lot you can do (very simple things) to make it handle very neutrally and connected.

Brakes - could just be worn pads, low on fluid, or need a flush/re-bleed on the fluid. Some would say that the brakes are so-so, but I've always found the very linear and respond well to upgraded pads/fluids

Take it you're buying this from a non-dealer. I'd take it to a Subaru shop, pay the $100-$150 and have them go through it with a fine-toothed comb. Then you'll have a basis for additional negotiations if any.

GL and keep us posted.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My 05 GT at 142,000 miles steers as easy as it did new, and the brakes feel like most other cars, I don't have a long pedal. The older Legacy's pre-95' had sucky brake feel, I test drove a 92'. When I test drove my 98GT they fixed the brakes. If this car has a long brake pedal IMO that's not normal.

I will say my 09 Spec B has a great brake pedal, I can feel them when I push the pedal about a 1/2" on my 05 it takes about a 3/4-inch to feel them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Gilliz.

SBT, the car is at a Hyundai / Subaru Dealership in the used lot. The sales rep said the car went through their "inspection" and everything was fine.

Max Capacity, just new pads hopefully?

Thanks Gilliz.

SBT, the car is at a Hyundai / Subaru Dealership in the used lot. The sales rep said the car went through their "inspection" and everything was fine.?

if everything seems to check out and you like it, make sure to get compression test readings. It's a bit of a pain to do on the LGTs but is well worth it. Might cost $80-100 for the peace of mind but save you thousands later.

My brother-in-law is a mechanic and told me to get this done for sure as the design of the boxer engine really hides poor compression. I came very close to buying what seemed like a flawless 2005 lgt with 80k miles and only nixed the deal when I found two cylinders with low compression. Mind you that i thought i was a pretty good test driver since i already have a 2005 to compare it against :-0

Thanks guys, just got back from the dealership and sure enough it sold today. Just my luck. If anyone knows of an LGT for sale within 50 miles of Knoxville, TN please let me know. I know there are plenty of member selling theirs on here but having one closely available to look at makes things alot easier for me.

I thouhgt a I saw a car forsale here in the for sale forum from Tenn.

Have you checked there ? these cars pop up all the time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks guys, you've been great help. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be bragging about my new whip! Haha. I'm tired of driving a 97 Avalon... with 300k miles.

For sure the right car will find you.

So this is where I stand, stick with gettin an LGT for around 14k, or the new TCs. Total opposites I know but for about 20k I can get a brand new car, PLUS a lifetime powertain warranty. A car garranteed to run, and at 33mpg sounds pretty good... What do you all think?

I've seen the new body style and while its vastly improved (a few styling ques from the GTR even) but there are MANY cars that get better gas mileage, are sportier, etc etc etc...

Examples being:

Hyundai Sonata

Kia Optima

2011 2.5i Legacy (near the same gas mileage real world, but it is also a lot larger)

Toyota Corolla

Honda Civic

Its all about what you're looking for in the car. Do you mind having a used older car? Do you want 4 doors? Do you want AWD? Sportiness for sure, can you live with sportiness in an FWD vehicle? etc.

There are definite advantages to each vehicle, but there is also a point of what will suit your needs best.

There is a thread, I think Godwhoismike started it, about a new vehicle and in that thread there are a LOT of good arguments for different cars. If you're looking between an LGT and a TC, then you've got a wide range of cars you may want to look at in that thread.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Archived