LegacyGT.com

07 XT tires. Poor?

Just wondering what others think of the tires. They don't grip as well as I thought they would on snow, wet or ice for a car of this weight. Was expecting much better.

Are the stocks on the XT supposed to be more dry performance that all weather or am I crazy?

You're not crazy, you just are expecting too much from "all-season" tires. All-season is just an industry term for "not terribly good in any season".

Which ones do you have - the Bridgestone Potenza RE92As or the Yokohama Advans? If you search for "RE92" you will see much debate, lamenting, defending, and pulling of hair about these tires. When it comes down to it, all season tires are compromises. They are adequate in most conditions and good in none.

If you live in an area with frequent snowfall or ice, you might want to invest in a set of dedicated winter tires. Tests have shown that winter tires actually perform better on snow, wet, and dry conditions than all seasons, they just wear too fast to be used during dry or warm weather.

The difference is definitely worth it. We use the RE92As in summer (until they wear out, then I'll switch to a more dedicated summer tire) and Dean Wintercat studded winter tires from November through April.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 1 month later...

HA LOL LMAO. Um, yeah, the tires are, um, poor. OMG we've gone over this one, um, once or twice (search much?)

Well, so since you ask, it's really more like: "Do stock tires on every subaru sold suck?"

And the answer is still yes. Read the wheel and tire forum to figure out what to replace them with.

Side comment to trout - you're right, duke, but even for an all season these tires are not very good - they are average to below average. Its amazing that they remain on OEM cars for about 20 years running. Sheesh. Imagine if Apple were still selling the Mac SE for the premium $3500 price they got for it in '89.

Yikes!

Actually, stock tires on almost every vehicle suck. They're usually a much crappier version of the replacement market version of the "identical" tire. The tire makers make 'em cheaper, to get the car makers to buy them.

There are many exceptions - the spec B comes with RE 050A's - one of the best summer tires available. Bmws and audis have come with excellent dunlops (SP2000, SP8000, SP9000, and variants) and contis (sportcontact 2 and 3), as well as some not so good contis (sportcontact original).

My Miata came with michelin pilot MXM summers - also excellent rubber. The RX8 comes with very good Re 040's too.

Subarus come equipped with crap.

HA LOL LMAO. Um, yeah, the tires are, um, poor. OMG we've gone over this one, um, once or twice (search much?)

Well, so since you ask, it's really more like: "Do stock tires on every subaru sold suck?"

And the answer is still yes. Read the wheel and tire forum to figure out what to replace them with.

Side comment to trout - you're right, duke, but even for an all season these tires are not very good - they are average to below average. Its amazing that they remain on OEM cars for about 20 years running. Sheesh. Imagine if Apple were still selling the Mac SE for the premium $3500 price they got for it in '89.

Yikes!

One of my Subarus comes with sweet tires, stock. But you already mentioned the RE050s.

Yeah, I was trying not to turn this into another RE92 hating thread, but I know what you mean. I just don't push the car (the Outback) and the tires don't push back. Plus, I've made some emergency maneuvers where they've done their job adequately.

I've had a long conversation with a project manager for a large tire company about the problem with OEM tires in general. His point: don't expect OEM tires to be good at anything except saving money for the auto manufacturer. My point: if the tire manufacturer makes crap OEM tires, don't expect the replacements to be from that manufacturer.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

That's true - a big reason the tire manufacturers compete so hard for the OEM rubber is that most people (apparently) buy the same rubber for the car as replacements that the car came with.

So its important big business.

One of my Subarus comes with sweet tires, stock. But you already mentioned the RE050s.

Yeah, I was trying not to turn this into another RE92 hating thread, but I know what you mean. I just don't push the car (the Outback) and the tires don't push back. Plus, I've made some emergency maneuvers where they've done their job adequately.

I've had a long conversation with a project manager for a large tire company about the problem with OEM tires in general. His point: don't expect OEM tires to be good at anything except saving money for the auto manufacturer. My point: if the tire manufacturer makes crap OEM tires, don't expect the replacements to be from that manufacturer.

Archived