LegacyGT.com

automatic to manual swap HELP!!!

So I have a wrecked 2006 5mt Lgt. I purchased a rolling chassis 05 5eat Lgt. I want to swap my engine and transmission over to this car. Can I use the trans controller from the manual trans car and not have to pull the whole under dash wiring harness? Also, can I just wire in my neutral safety switch to the preexisting wiring harness? should I use my dashboard and gauge cluster as well? any help is appreciated

after my radiator cracked i looked for an upgrade naturally. afaik there is a trans line going into it i think to help cool the 5eat fluid.

every aftermarket rad i found said id need and external cooler. i simply stayed with stock since the car has no cooling problems with stock rad.

i dont know what else you are saying. sorry.

He's saying he wants to make his new 5EAT car a 5MT with the parts left over from his wrecked 5MT, hopefully without having to mess with all the electronics, take out the dash, etc.

You'll have to take out the dash, the cluster.. The whole bit. Basically transferring your old car's electronics over to the new one. If it were easy to do, don't you think we'd have threads with pictorial walkthroughs?

So far I've gotten the dash out of both cars and now working on putting the one from my manual trans car in. Just decided to strip the shell completely and move everything over piece by piece. I know everything on my wrecked car is good so I can't see why it wouldn't work in the other car. I also got the pedal assembly out of both cars and test fit it and that shouldn't be a problem. Anything else anyone can think of that would stop me?

So far I've gotten the dash out of both cars and now working on putting the one from my manual trans car in. Just decided to strip the shell completely and move everything over piece by piece. I know everything on my wrecked car is good so I can't see why it wouldn't work in the other car. I also got the pedal assembly out of both cars and test fit it and that shouldn't be a problem. Anything else anyone can think of that would stop me?

You're gonna have to basically move the entire body and engine wiring harness, in addition to some more engine bay work, like moving the clutch slave and master cylinder. Also the trans mounts are different. Now's a great time to get the Group N package if you haven't already -- should be about $200 for the engine, trans and pitch stop.

OP,

I looked into this extensively a year or so ago. Trust me when I say, it's not worth it, and you will never get done right. It may well run, but you will be plagued by electrical gremlins and errors. In short, you will need:

-Complete wiring harness

-ECU

-Complete dash

-Complete steering column

-pedal box / all attachments

-custom fabricated transmission x-member

-rear diff

-driveshaft

-Transmission

-

OP,

I looked into this extensively a year or so ago. Trust me when I say, it's not worth it, and you will never get done right. It may well run, but you will be plagued by electrical gremlins and errors. In short, you will need:

-Complete wiring harness

-ECU

-Complete dash

-Complete steering column

-pedal box / all attachments

-custom fabricated transmission x-member

-rear diff

-driveshaft

-Transmission

-

Now, wait a minute. Remember, he's doing a AT to MT swap with a donor. He's got an entire MT car at his disposal -- Much easier. I think it'll work.

is there anyway I can convert my wagon into a sedan?:hide:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

5eat are stout! just get the hex mod for your auto and call it a day. and if you're rough on the car then do the differential needle bearings to bushing mod.

hex mod

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-valve-body-upgrades-finally-164484.html?t=164484&highlight=hex+mod

install for bushings

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installing-hexmods-center-differential-bulletproof-bushings-164597.html

5eat are stout! just get the hex mod for your auto and call it a day. and if you're rough on the car then do the differential needle bearings to bushing mod.

hex mod

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-valve-body-upgrades-finally-164484.html?t=164484&highlight=hex+mod

install for bushings

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installing-hexmods-center-differential-bulletproof-bushings-164597.html

Also advice worthy of consideration. OP, how set are you on a third pedal? Yes, I understand you want to be cool and row gears, but, honestly, the 5EAT is a great car, too. You could just drop in your motor and be on your way with no hassle. There's a lot to be said for a stomp-n-go. ;)

Archived