LegacyGT.com

Help Weird Sound

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if you ever encounter this before? No matter if it's warm or cold out this happens. It's hard to reproduce to the Mechanic as the car needs to sit or cooled for at least 1+ hour, and even by then it's a 50/50 chance it may not occur.

Here's a link: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WuZa0dZw9z

The sound occurs around 0:16sec in the link

Here's some info. about the car;

'07 Legacy GT Limited - 5mt - US Specd (previous owner brought it over from Nevada, US to Toronto, Canada) - 140k - stage 1.5?

Thanks in advance,

Can't view video here at work.

Is it the start that is hanging up ? lots of these cars do that. There is a sticky up top about how to grease the shaft.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can't view video here at work.

Is it the start that is hanging up ? lots of these cars do that. There is a sticky up top about how to grease the shaft.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html

Oh the link is not a video, it's a audio link. Yeah it starts fine, no issue or any hesitations. Just that weird sound like a moving a metal table in a room sound... I'll check the link. Bless you bro! I didn't think of that to be the shaft.. i will investigate this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion! ;) I'll update this thread when I have a chance on my outcome.

Yea, my 09 Spec B starter hangs for a second after I turn the key to run. Did it today, it's 40F this AM, when its warm it doesn't make the sound.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Yea, my 09 Spec B starter hangs for a second after I turn the key to run. Did it today, it's 40F this AM, when its warm it doesn't make the sound.

Ok, here's the update. I looked into the starter shaft with my mechanic, he indicated that would not be the problem since my car does start w/o issues. However the sound that is generated maybe a pump or something else ie: abs module, fuel pump etc... Is there anywhere online i can find out what is happening when the car starts? like what mechanisms is taking place upon when the car starts? So far not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing, but I don't hear that noise anymore. Actually i do but it's very faint if you're listening very carefully.

Still haven't heard the clip.

It sounds like your talking about the air pump and the fast idle for the first few seconds after a cold start up on an 07-09. That's normal.

There may be a page in the back of the service manual that explains that. I know there are flow charts back there.

• 1 year later...

I'm very new and I am unsure how exactly I should be asking questions. This was the closest thread I could find on noises that was similar to my own problem. I bought an 06 GT about a year ago at 60k and every time I turn the car on and begin to accelerate ill get a single pop noise or it sounds almost like a spring expanding. This only happens once after I start to drive then it wont happen until I turn off and start the car again and start to drive. Sometimes I don't hear it at all but it occurs almost every time. It seems to happen once ive reached around 5mph and is sometimes quiet depending on how hard I press the gas.

Again sorry if this is in the wrong place or something.

Not sure if its related, but my 06 LGT makes a very brief screeching sound (lasts maybe 1/2 a second) when I start it in very cold weather. I am assuming it is the starter issue that others have posted about.

Curious to see if this is the same issue you are experiencing.

Not sure if its related, but my 06 LGT makes a very brief screeching sound (lasts maybe 1/2 a second) when I start it in very cold weather. I am assuming it is the starter issue that others have posted about.

Curious to see if this is the same issue you are experiencing.

Probably not as he is saying it's when he accelerates.

Funny you should mention that, I've been trying to record the noise with my phone but it never does it when I'm recording haha. It's really infrequent even on cold days.

Also, I'm hesitant to create a new thread I like to search things to death before I do that. Don't want to get lit up from everyone for not searching lol.

Archived