LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on alignment?...and Whitetiger's Coilover Hijacking

jasejase

Here's what I got from the local shop. Not ecstatic, but should I expect more?

Just to be clear.... It's an 09 spec b. Sitting in bilsteins and pinks. Alignment was done after they installed my 235 40 18's on 18x 8.5

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/22/707f7bd1c5953aceb7241abe69afc196.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they left you with positive camber on the driver side front and its like they didnt even look at the rear at all. you should never leave an alignment shop with any kind of thrust angle other than 0. its like they did just the front toe and sent it out the door.

they couldn't even take the time to load the correct car model on the spec sheet. :lol:

the alignment is still garbage. go to a real shop and get a proper one.

Yep. I wouldn't have gotten one at this place if it wasn't free. Thought about calling them up, but it wouldn't go very far. They're a good tire shop nonetheless, so I won't burn the bridge.

Seen this many times... Do you know what kind of alignment machine it is? They only adjusted the front, that small change in the rear was from the front adjustment.

If they're a good tire shop and the alignment machine is decent I'd try speaking with them about your expectations. Offer to pay for the desired outcome. If they argue on the "it's in the green" crap, they may not be as good as you think.

I did that and the dude just said he couldn't warranty the alignment... but I left with exactly what I wanted and the guy turned out cool. (0 Toe and -1 Camber at all four corners, all factory adjustments... save a camber kit for passenger front, I wanted it exact and he could only get .9 Camber without the kit. Half my report was in red :)

Seen this many times... Do you know what kind of alignment machine it is? They only adjusted the front, that small change in the rear was from the front adjustment.

If they're a good tire shop and the alignment machine is decent I'd try speaking with them about your expectations. Offer to pay for the desired outcome. If they argue on the "it's in the green" crap, they may not be as good as you think.

I did that and the dude just said he couldn't warranty the alignment... but I left with exactly what I wanted and the guy turned out cool. (0 Toe and -1 Camber at all four corners, all factory adjustments... save a camber kit for passenger front, I wanted it exact and he could only get .9 Camber without the kit. Half my report was in red :)

Yeah, im just gonna cut my losses and call it a day. It was free... The car was out of alignment going in (Thanks Connecticut winters). I'll bring it to a reputable shop for a final alignment this spring.

Like whitetiger said, its all fcuked up and they didn't adjust squat. Get a real shop to give you a proper alignment. I've never had any luck getting alignments at a "tire shop". You need someone who knows Subies to put a good street performance suspension "tune" on it. Someone with a Bosch (Porsche certified) alignment rack would be a good start and they should do it with you sitting in the driver seat. Be prepared to pay $100 and it will be well worth it...until you hit a pothole. :lol:

Yeah, im just gonna cut my losses and call it a day. It was free... The car was out of alignment going in (Thanks Connecticut winters). I'll bring it to a reputable shop for a final alignment this spring.

When you get a proper alignment and documentation, you might bring it to that tire shop. Not bridge burning, but QA that could only benefit the shop and repeat customers.

I had ZERO expectations of this shop. They are cheap, and they are noted to treat cars/wheels/tires pretty well, and always have great pricing. As far as alignments go, I would never have gotten one here, if it wasn't 'included.' My last alignment was at a Subaru shop (EFI), and it was great. I thought I'd give it a whirl. I know the results were pretty lousy, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over-reacting! Someone told me it was bad, but it wasn't horrifically bad in comparison to what they've seen.

You got what you paid for on that alignment. Money must grow on trees for you if you bought tires from them. A good alignment will let you drive the same tires longer and use your suspension in the way it was designed. Seems a shame to spend all the money on engine work and then throw it away on a crap suspension setup.

Not sure I'm following you. Are you saying that my car has a shit suspension, or that this will turn my cars suspension to shit?

I'm going to get the car realigned; that's not a problem. I was just looking for confirmation, as I had a couple people say it wasn't as horrific as some shops they've seen. However, I still thought it was garbage.

It's not my daily driver, so I've only put about 2 miles on the car with this alignment.

Not sure I'm following you. Are you saying that my car has a shit suspension, or that this will turn my cars suspension to shit?

I'm going to get the car realigned; that's not a problem. I was just looking for confirmation, as I had a couple people say it wasn't as horrific as some shops they've seen. However, I still thought it was garbage.

It's not my daily driver, so I've only put about 2 miles on the car with this alignment.

Tired when I wrote that.

I'm saying you got a bad alignment. It's garbage Take it somewhere else.

Wrong car and not even within those specs? Left front wheel has positive camber?

If my tire shop offered me a free alignment, I'd still only do the tires. However, I'd likely be out in the garage while they did it. Then again, until my previous shop went to online only, I was always in the shop when they did my tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like only one tire rubs. D/S rear. It's also the only one that still has the little rubber fender protector on the lip. Looks like it's rubbing on that rubber piece. I took it off. Confirmed, as the rubber piece is worn down to its inner metal frame!

We'll see if I get any rub with it off.

Also, over 65 mph, the car shakes like a leaf. Though the alignment sucks, I'm guessing that's not the issue. Looks like they also f'd up the balancing. Now I need a re-balance and a new alignment. Gonna see if my mod friendly dealer will do both.

Ain't got time for this shit!

First pic shows the rubber trim piece in place. You can also see the scuff mark on side wall, close to the tread. Second pic shows the rubber piece removed and worn down.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/02/d3f1a3b6170e25fdf8a6e8964a910353.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/02/471af1392481f71e7c10dfb632262b2d.jpg

Sorry, man. I find it's just tougher and tougher to get seemingly simple work done w/o some sort of fail. I'd love to do more DIY but lack tools, time, space, and often the confidence to attempt. Really limits mods, repairs and upgrade options for me. I've had issues with every place except a guy who does "work on the side" out of hid pop's garage. He's got 3 young boys and a FT job, so I hate to impose on him too often, but goddamn it!!!!

Yeah.... This shop is a very highly rated tire and wheel shop. they've done work for me in the past without issue too. I dunno. Half of me wants to bring it back there and have them rebalance. If the dealer won't touch the wheels, I'll try that route.

I just want it done right. I hate doing crap twice

Archived