LegacyGT.com

Do we get the JDM key???

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='SUBE555'][img]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/OB05key1.JPG[/img] This is the key we get.[/quote] Once again..the US gets shafted out of something cool. Why couldn't they give us the JDM key?? Its just a key for pete's sake... Did it have to pass highway safty laws?? No..or emitions?? No.. Arrgghh :x

[quote name='MacG5']We have that key here in Canada. Well in the GT Limited anyway.[/quote] Hum... you sure? The only ones I saw at the test drive and in the brochure is the one in the picture SUBE555 posted, separate key and remote. Nicolas

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='SUBE555'][img]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/OB05key1.JPG[/img] This is the key we get.[/quote] Once again..the US gets shafted out of something cool. Why couldn't they give us the JDM key?? Its just a key for pete's sake... Did it have to pass highway safty laws?? No..or emitions?? No.. Arrgghh :x[/quote] Probably would have had to pass some kind of radio frequency test, so as not to interfere with cell phones, TV signal and the like. :-/ But then VW and others do it, so it would be possible... Nicolas

It is actually better for us to have them separate, in my opinion. (I plan to go with an aftermarket alarm system to complement my aftermarket stereo system, so having to essentially lug around two key FOB's would be a pain. -Allen

Nicolas, I'm positive. When I drove the GT ltd I got the one piece setup, and I remember thinking "Saweeeeet!!!" I even asked about it, and my dealer said "That's the key this car comes with. Cool isn't it?". However, later that day when I drove a MT OB (just wanted to get the feel for the stick and they didn't have - still don't have - any GT 5 speeds :( I got the 2 piece regular setup. What gives? :?:

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='SUBE555'][img]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/OB05key1.JPG[/img] This is the key we get.[/quote] Once again..the US gets shafted out of something cool. Why couldn't they give us the JDM key?? Its just a key for pete's sake... Did it have to pass highway safty laws?? No..or emitions?? No.. Arrgghh :x[/quote] We don't get shafted out of anything at all. We get the immobilizer key, which, if you have a Legacy with that feature (GT wagon, GT Limiteds), it means that you have an excellent theft deterrent built right into your key. It's a very nice setup. Rather than assessing the USDM car according the the JDM car, evaluate the car that we get on its own merits. Looking at the grass in the other yard leads to permanent dissatisfaction, wee hopper. Kevin

[quote name='MacG5']Nicolas, I'm positive. When I drove the GT ltd I got the one piece setup, and I remember thinking "Saweeeeet!!!" I even asked about it, and my dealer said "That's the key this car comes with. Cool isn't it?". However, later that day when I drove a MT OB (just wanted to get the feel for the stick and they didn't have - still don't have - any GT 5 speeds :( I got the 2 piece regular setup. What gives? :?:[/quote] Cool, funny they don't note the fact in the brochure... IMHO key+fob is a "premium" feature (Volvos, MBs, BMWs, etc.) so it would make sense to throw it in with the Ltd package. As to akm3s comment: If we get the key+fob, we can always choose to use one of the keys that does not have the fob... ;) And gtguy, isn't it great to check out what's in the other guy's yard and start asking for it? Best way to actually get it one day.. ;) Nicolas

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='SUBE555'][img]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/OB05key1.JPG[/img] This is the key we get.[/quote] Once again..the US gets shafted out of something cool. Why couldn't they give us the JDM key?? Its just a key for pete's sake... Did it have to pass highway safty laws?? No..or emitions?? No.. Arrgghh :x[/quote] We don't get shafted out of anything at all. We get the immobilizer key, which, if you have a Legacy with that feature (GT wagon, GT Limiteds), it means that you have an excellent theft deterrent built right into your key. It's a very nice setup. Rather than assessing the USDM car according the the JDM car, evaluate the car that we get on its own merits. Looking at the grass in the other yard leads to permanent dissatisfaction, wee hopper. Kevin[/quote] JDM Key is also an immobolizer. PS The JDM key is huge and very uncomfortable in your pocket.

[quote name='panos'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='SUBE555'][img]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/OB05key1.JPG[/img] This is the key we get.[/quote] Once again..the US gets shafted out of something cool. Why couldn't they give us the JDM key?? Its just a key for pete's sake... Did it have to pass highway safty laws?? No..or emitions?? No.. Arrgghh :x[/quote] We don't get shafted out of anything at all. We get the immobilizer key, which, if you have a Legacy with that feature (GT wagon, GT Limiteds), it means that you have an excellent theft deterrent built right into your key. It's a very nice setup. Rather than assessing the USDM car according the the JDM car, evaluate the car that we get on its own merits. Looking at the grass in the other yard leads to permanent dissatisfaction, wee hopper. Kevin[/quote] JDM Key is also an immobolizer. PS The JDM key is huge and very uncomfortable in your pocket.[/quote] But people these days LOVE to sacrifice comfort for looks!! :-D I think my favorite design is the VW/Audi/Mercedes key that is like a butterfly knife. My dad has one for his car and it's so fun to play with!
-ben

[quote name='NicoGamine'] And gtguy, isn't it great to check out what's in the other guy's yard and start asking for it? Best way to actually get it one day.. ;) Nicolas[/quote] You have to want what's in the other guy's yard, first of all...I don't. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='NicoGamine'] And gtguy, isn't it great to check out what's in the other guy's yard and start asking for it? Best way to actually get it one day.. ;) Nicolas[/quote] You have to want what's in the other guy's yard, first of all...I don't. Kevin[/quote] Yeah, it would really suck to have a key with alarm/lock functions the size of the USDM remote.

[quote name='NicoGamine'][quote name='MacG5']We have that key here in Canada. Well in the GT Limited anyway.[/quote] Hum... you sure? The only ones I saw at the test drive and in the brochure is the one in the picture SUBE555 posted, separate key and remote.[/quote] I was at the test drive as well; the remote and the key were separate items, I noticed because I was hoping for a key similar to VWs and Volvos. Although, it could have been the "valet" key... However the JDM key is not like the VWs either where the key folds in to the remote control.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I noticed with autos - in this great country we get the worst cars, the worst quality crap, and none of the fun options - I thought in this country we had deeper pockets than other countries - why do we pay more and get less? I dunno, example look at Aussie Fords like the Falcon and look then at the USA Ford line up - Aussie fords have all the high tech gadgets and stuff where usa Fords are lucky to get a cd player. Subaru - I believe the usa market was the only market not to get the navi as an option on the '05 Legacy, and we're also getting the crappy looking key. Plus a lot of cars that are imported in to the USA get lower set speed governers - especially the Audi's where they're set to now 130mph for all Audi's for the USA market. From an auto enthusiast view point - seems like the USA is the worst place to live if you like cars. - Mike edit: What about automakers that detune cars for the usa market? :evil:

I don't think we pay more and get less. I think we pay less and get less. I think we want all the extras but are not willing to pay for them. Some on this board might be, but as a whole, America won't, especially not for a Subaru, not yet. That and our safety regs/crash testing/lawsuits/emissions control.

[quote name='godwhomismike']I noticed with autos - in this great country we get the worst cars, the worst quality crap, and none of the fun options - I thought in this country we had deeper pockets than other countries - why do we pay more and get less? I dunno, example look at Aussie Fords like the Falcon and look then at the USA Ford line up - Aussie fords have all the high tech gadgets and stuff where usa Fords are lucky to get a cd player. Subaru - I believe the usa market was the only market not to get the navi as an option on the '05 Legacy, and we're also getting the crappy looking key. Plus a lot of cars that are imported in to the USA get lower set speed governers - especially the Audi's where they're set to now 130mph for all Audi's for the USA market. From an auto enthusiast view point - seems like the USA is the worst place to live if you like cars. - Mike edit: What about automakers that detune cars for the usa market? :evil:[/quote] Hum... One thing to keep in mind is that prices are much, much lower in North America than in Europe or Australia. Your example, the Falcon, starts at 42000$AU - 29000$US - vs 20000$US for the Taurus. European prices are similar: The base Mondeo starts at 14500UK - 27000$US. Nicolas

[quote name='SC GT']I don't think we pay more and get less. I think we pay less and get less. I think we want all the extras but are not willing to pay for them. Some on this board might be, but as a whole, America won't, especially not for a Subaru, not yet. That and our safety regs/crash testing/lawsuits/emissions control.[/quote] SC GT beat me to it but our points are the same. Also, as I said, price is one issue, emmissions and all that are something else to pile on... Nicolas

[quote name='SC GT']Some on this board might be, but as a whole, America won't, especially not for a Subaru, not yet. [/quote] Personally, I think Subaru hit the nail on the head with the '05 Legacy, I find it more attractive than the A4, 330xi, and G35x. Actually from the research I've been doing, the new Legacy seems to be right on par with the A4 1.8T - I think the extra money of the A4 might justify the price because of the 4 years of free maintenance. Other than the free maintenance the Audi has, the Legacy has more power - 80hp more and 84 lb feet of torque more, just as good or better looking interior (especially the center part of the dashboard). I think the overall package of the Legacy GT Limited is better than the A4. - Mike

If you look closely you will notice that the JDM key is cut very differently from the USDM key. The JDM key has a flat metal slab in the middle making it impossible to copy where the USDM one does not.

Archived