LegacyGT.com

Diff fluid smell?

gimpydingo

I changed the diff fluids in my 5EAT quite a while back, been couple thousand miles. No leak, fluid is clean and at the right level. Recently a few times after a bit of spirited driving 20 miles + on the freeway I'm getting a wiff of diff fluid when i come to a stop. I just drove 40 miles, hopped of the freeway and at a light I got the smell. Only lasts a short time. I parked the car and am sitting in it waiting for my wife, no longer a smell. A bit odd. Used Amsoil severe gear since i have 80k on this car. Thoughts?

Axle to diff seal is leaking. I'm in the same ish boat. Let it go for a while then replaced the passenger side. I was not loosing a huge ammount of fluid. Soon as the drips hit the driveway thats when I replaced the inner seal.

Still at odds as I'm unsure if the outer oring is leaking or, when hot, previously leaked fluid is finding the Up pipe. :/

Clean, inspect, repeat.

Hmm okay thanks for the info. I did have the font axles replaced not that long ago as well. The diff fluids been a while since I changed, as I said few thousands miles so don't think it's the drips, though I know that stuff smells forever if it gets on the ground alone.

Archived