LegacyGT.com

saggy spacer idea?

naimouasta

my driverside rear is sagging to the point where even my mom noticed it and pointed it out to me. :rolleyes:

i know couple of the guys here are using a spacer but some are having issues with not having enough threading because the spacers they want are too thick.

so, i was just wondering if it would be a good/bad idea to make a spacer that would go between the spring and hat, instead of the hat and car.?!?

well i thought it was a common issue on legacy's to have a saggy driverside, especially in the rear. just search the threads and a lot of people have this issue, even when measuring oem springs.

i see what your are saying about the preload, but would a 1/4in or 3/8in spacer be that big of an issue?

Yes, any spring pre-load is a big issue..

It is not a "common issue" to have a "saggy" drivers side. Springs are not side dependent. Rear struts and top hats are not side dependent. Left to right on the rear is the same.

Cars are not perfect, but if 1 corner is noticeably sagging it is worth looking into. Shimming should not be required. I have seen plenty of clapped out OEM and aftermarket springs.

• 2 weeks later...

a handful of cars out of tens of thousands is not "common". springs can and do sag over time and use. cars are not perfect, i guarantee if you mic'ed every lgt on a car lot not a single one would be "perfect". i have seen two sets of "clapped out" front rallitek springs this month. both cars have about 60k on the springs and they have collapsed.

rear fender arches are cut such that the center of the wheel is not in the center of the fender arch. so this too contributes to a "saggy butt" look on 4th gen lgt's.

if it esthetically bothers you or is a performance issue, time to investigate under the car and possibly swap some components. adding shims is not the correct answer. it could be like putting a band-aid on a broken leg.

Archived