LegacyGT.com

transgo kit in and working good

motorbykemike

old tranny was never right & after stg 3 was giving up the ghost , 4th/5th were slipping so much we were not using them

bought a 27k used tranny , had a buddy w/ a trans shop get/install the transgo kit before install

i'm very pleased to say the least , very positive , firm but not bangin shifts .

best part is when in manual mode the huge delay in moving the shifter till trans actually shifting is reduced dramaticly , still there but very little delay now .wooohooo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice. Your Input Clutch is what burned up. This happens when you have a big turbo but inadequate valve body settings, or a blockage from old fluid or debris, and apparently it happened to you. Did your installer do any drilling, or just install the TransGo kit parts? If you do not know, could you ask him? :D
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

car is an 05 , bought it around 70k , has 102k now , been a money pit since 96k , don't know why i have'nt run it into a tree yet .

lt columbo , did you see an improvement in the "shift delay" ?

transgo kit was installed as per their instructions , to the t , as they need feedback

mods:

vf52 w/ blanket & spt shield , stock turbo failed as a result of clogged banjo , it now has no screen

greddy/trust up w/ egt

perrin lwcp , stocker was disintegrating

perrin 2pc , 2 cat dp

perrin tmic , stocker was starting to come apart

dw740 , may do a pump

rx8 oil filter / rotella syn

banjos feeding ocv's replaced/relocated to servicable spots

was on 555 baseline ap tune , now on botti os , will retune ap after some minor issues are sorted

may install an aftermarket ebcs , not sure yet

car has some weird intermittent part throttle , light-mid load stumble/surging thing goin on , it goes away w/ more or less throttle input.

chasing a small boost leak , may be the intake gaskets , if i buy them i will do an inlet at same time .

it does pull pretty damn hard though , def a 13 sec car

rolls on bilstien/ions , some bushings & a roll center kit , good rubber

orig tranny was never right , i knew it's days were #'ed since we bought the car .

old trans fluid stunk like shite , burnt & if you looked really close you could see little specks of waht we assume to be clutch material , a recent "omg , i hope this helps" amsoil change made it "sink to the waterline" .

old trans will be torn down to investigate , i do have another one yet . trans shop buddy has a tube frame race car w/ sti 2wd driveline , he is going to put a 5eat in it . he has an 05 5eat lgt , stg 2? (tune and a up/down w/ spt intake) as well that has seen many trackdays , no probs - go figure

lt columbo , did you see an improvement in the "shift delay" ?

Yes, it definitely shifts much quicker.....the actual mechanical shifting is very quick. However the TCU ultimately still controls the the transmission at this point, so if you're driving in manual mode and shift gears you're still just issuing a request to the TCU, which it may or may not respond to as fast as you would like.

If you're driving in a spirited manner in sport mode or manual mode it almost feels like someone give you a bump draft when it shifts. When I first picked it up the shop manager took me for a ride and actually chirped third gear. Throw it drive and cruise more sedately and probably nobody but an enthusiast would notice anything out of the ordinary.

Should be noted though that I also had some other work done though like extra 4th and 5th gear clutches, Borg Warner clutches, torque converter reworked and welded, etc.

Overall I am very, very happy with mine over the past 16 mos. I'd been kicking myself for getting an automatic in case my wife ever had to use the car, but now not so much.

Welcome to the currently small exclusive club of TransGo 5EAT'ers. :cool:

I'm really wanting to take this plunge, as I am currently playing with fire at my current mod level. Although, my transmission still hasn't exploded like the peanut gallery told me it would when I asked for a build evaluation :lol:

i thought about tearing a unit down and doing the 4th/5th clutch thing but realisticly , other than the fact that the tcu wants to get in those gears so early for econ, i do not need that .

if i want to pass at wfo , i'll d/s the trans in man .

the car is more than capable of reaching illegal speeds in 3rd , second for that matter . on the highway its all good in "d" , i normally don't go more than 50% throttle , to pass all but someone racing you , & thats more than adequate "passing power" , the remaining power is just not needed unless you live to dare the coppers to give you tickets , or you like to wear brakes out .

i like to use the momentum capabilities of the car , it handles ok , and it's all about how much you don't slow down rather than how fast you go .

never really beatin on it in 4th/5th , highway passing, sure thats the tough spot for it but if i'm goin for it i'll downshift myself . actually the 40mph in 5th is prob worse but we're never loadin it up like that , just trollin along .

the "package" is a good dd , ussually driven at 25-60% throttle , at that "level" it's got mad midrange , very "peppy" car , if i'm usin that and get into 4th , i'm over the ton , not likely on the street .

i'll do that at the track , and get every last bit out of it

wfo , top of 3rd is like 110-115 , works better in the middle though and can "build" some speed , no doubt .

anyways , will post the findings of the pos orig trans teardown

+1 Very interested in this project. Could you say where you had the work done or what you ordered from TransGo to have it be such a simple swap? Certainly overkill, but if I had the work being done, I would probably have upgraded clutches put in throughout and any other support bits. (Ex: ClimberD bushings, etc)

let me speak w/ my friend at the shop on monday , place was closed when i picked the car up .

i will get back w/ info on avail , costs and such .

i did not want to rebuild the old tranny or get into tearing one down , the idea behind this was to see if the stock trans w/ the shift kit in can handle the added power this car makes w/ no issues .

it was also far cheaper to get another unit than rebuild/modify

although i have not and will not powerbrake the car , i have not been very friendly to this trans so far , no cooler either

if this trans fails as well , i will go all out on a build . steve , the guy at the trans shop , is confident that that will not be the case .

where do i get a kit ?

Frankster I would call TransGo direct. The basis of my kit which I believe was the original, was the one for the 350Z, but they tweaked it for my shop who does some R&D for them. It sounds like currently they are at some stage of development of a kit specifically for the 5EAT and are possibly releasing this to some test pilots....just speculation on my part.

TransGo:

http://www.transgo.com/contact.php

Frankster I would call TransGo direct. The basis of my kit which I believe was the original, was the one for the 350Z, but they tweaked it for my shop who does some R&D for them. It sounds like currently they are at some stage of development of a kit specifically for the 5EAT and are possibly releasing this to some test pilots....just speculation on my part.

TransGo:

http://www.transgo.com/contact.php

i do believe you are correct

i called them a couple times in the past few months and got "sorry , we have nothing for that" or just a simple " maybe in the future" . i specificly asked about using the 350z kit and got "i don't think that will work" :spin:

steve called them 2 days after my last attempt and they said "we will put something together & you'll have it next week"

go ahead & try , i'm curious as to the response

i will know more mon

I cannot confirm or deny any knowledge of anything TransGo has not released yet, so there is no way I could have seen it, and thus no way I could say with a certain level of confidence their 5eat instructions are a bit half-assed compared to their 350Z instructions. There is no way I can know this, so I would have no concrete reason to be going out of my way to do R&D on top of what TransGo has already done for the 5eat. Definitely stay tuned in the other thread, as I may eventually be able to not confirm that there is a better way to do this than what TransGo has not yet released, which I definitely could not know anything about.

motorbykemike I look forward to hearing more details about your TransGo kit installation. Specifically the drilling, since everything else is already known.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

i do believe you are correct

i called them a couple times in the past few months and got "sorry , we have nothing for that" or just a simple " maybe in the future" . i specificly asked about using the 350z kit and got "i don't think that will work" :spin:

steve called them 2 days after my last attempt and they said "we will put something together & you'll have it next week"

go ahead & try , i'm curious as to the response

i will know more mon

I think they are more likely to work with an actual transmission shop than just a joe blow off the street, because the shops usually have the expertise to tweak the kit if any adjustments are needed, and won't drill a hole in the wrong place and say whoops!

I think they are more likely to work with an actual transmission shop than just a joe blow off the street, because the shops usually have the expertise to tweak the kit if any adjustments are needed, and won't drill a hole in the wrong place and say whoops!

That is true, but even most transmission shops are out of their league when it comes to customizing a system like this. Your shop does race builds and certainly knows how to modify a stock system. Many transmission shops do not venture out of the stock rebuild waters. I got an interesting message from one guy who was having his shop do the TransGo mod, and it was NOT working properly, and they were trying to figure out how to fix it. I suppose tuning a mechanical valve body is a lot like tuning an ECU. It sounds easy in theory, but it's also very easy to screw up. And we know that there are a lot of tuners out there that couldn't even tune a guitar.

That is true, but even most transmission shops are out of their league when it comes to customizing a system like this. Your shop does race builds and certainly knows how to modify a stock system. Many transmission shops do not venture out of the stock rebuild waters. I got an interesting message from one guy who was having his shop do the TransGo mod, and it was NOT working properly, and they were trying to figure out how to fix it. I suppose tuning a mechanical valve body is a lot like tuning an ECU. It sounds easy in theory, but it's also very easy to screw up. And we know that there are a lot of tuners out there that couldn't even tune a guitar.

Yeah, not something a chain store like Aamco could be trusted with. :lol:

heres the deal w/ the kit

it's a "beta test kit" meaning not quite a prototype , not a production kit , very few out there . it is 05-07 5eat specific . they will not be avail to general public & only a few select shops will be able to purchase them .

w/ just over 500mi on mine , i have no complaints & am a happy camper w/ they way it works . "d" is perfect w/ clean & crisp shifts , sport mode (where it normally lives) is the best it has ever been , manual mode is still "shifting" quicker as previously described . my trans dude is going to put one in his lgt as well .

thats all i have for now , more info to come

qawd i'm glad i stayed away from ipt

heres the deal w/ the kit

it's a "beta test kit" meaning not quite a prototype , not a production kit , very few out there . it is 05-07 5eat specific . they will not be avail to general public & only a few select shops will be able to purchase them .

w/ just over 500mi on mine , i have no complaints & am a happy camper w/ they way it works . "d" is perfect w/ clean & crisp shifts , sport mode (where it normally lives) is the best it has ever been , manual mode is still "shifting" quicker as previously described . my trans dude is going to put one in his lgt as well .

thats all i have for now , more info to come

qawd i'm glad i stayed away from ipt

A few shops, and ClimberD ;)

I'm installing this Beta version next. Wanted to test a simpler version first. It's good, but not as good as it should be.

Archived