LegacyGT.com

LCA Bushings, Yours are probably BAD

SeeeeeYa

When I went to a meet with the guys last month in Newport, KY a discussion about lower control arm bushings made me wonder. One of them had recently gotten some SuperPro LCA bushings because his were gone. What was disturbing was his telling me mine were, too, whether I knew it or not!! Another guy seconded that.

As I thought about it I wondered if that could account for my Leggy not being as sharp a scalpel as I remembered it was when new. Fourty five thousand miles and lots of autocrossing can have their way with a suspension. When I had replaced my RSB with the JDM unit, and all four bushings F/R, the handling immediately got better. Then after Jon/TDC installed my Tein coilovers my handling hit levels I'd never known before. But for the last few months I'd been feeling like the steering was not as precise as it was, tending to make me correct more than I thought I should for road camber, for example. Handling was still better than good, with quick responsive steering, but on-center seemed a little vague.

Getting under the car with a light revealed what I'd been told I would find, torn LCA bushings. That arm wasn't going anywhere because the design ensures that. But a bushing that started out as flexible, like most of those on these cars, was now visibly torn and sitting well out of center. The car's caster was obviously bad.

Following advice from REM870 I got in touch with turninconcepts.com and within short order I had a set of SuperPro LCA rear bushings. These suckers were NOT going to tear! (also of note was the extraordinary service of this vendor!)

Early this morning they were installed on the car. A short run around the few blocks where I live revealed little, except it simply 'felt' better. I had already prepared myself for some harshness and increased NVH. Surprisingly I felt none. But a longer ride was necessary before I could harden my opinion. Two hours on narrow two lanes and a return on twisty I79 later I can definitively say....wow.

After two years and nearly fifty thousand miles it is hard to be certain about the first miles on the car, but I remember it was great. Well, whatever it was then it is better now. There is no 'play' in the steering, each input giving exactly what you asked and no more, nor less. On the interstate at speed you can set the wheel for a curve and it will hold that line without overshoot or rebound recorrection. Straight ahead can be held without fear that a momentary distraction or a look at scenery will find you off line.

Check your bushings. And I'll bet those who have lowered suspensions will find, like I did, you need new ones.

On turninconcepts.com these words say it all:

http://forums.tdctuning.com/templates/AcidTechTiger/images/spacer.gifIf you have a lowered LGT then chances are you have or will very soon be chewing up the stock rear LCA bushings. It's just the way it is.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should have bought the ones with added caster (offset bushing)

I'm all happy and silly with mine and whatnot. Really snaps back to center.

My wife destroyed our OEM bushings in just under 20,000 miles.

I really had no idea, but I hated the float on the center, and the whip-around feeling of too much steering input at high speeds. Now much better feel 4sure.

AVO>Rallitek>to me.

What was the install cost? And don't forget to get it aligned.

How do I explain..... we/he had to make the tools for pressing the bushings out/in. It was done under cover of long standing friendships and the cost was, to me, minimal.

As for alignments..... hmmmmm. A lifetime of disappointments with alignments that made things worse has made me reluctant to go there. I watch my tires for signs of what to do. So far the only non linear wear is on the inner edge of the front tires. By the time this wear compromises the tire the entire tread will have been used to the bars anyway. And since I purposfully cranked in a bit of negative camber when I installed these tires this wear was expected, and accepted as payment for better turnin.

As others have echoed, this is a great mod, not merely replacement of unserviceable parts. Anyone who has modified their suspension in search of better handling needs these bushings.

Quote:

http://forums.tdctuning.com/templates/AcidTechTiger/images/spacer.gifIf you have a lowered LGT then chances are you have or will very soon be chewing up the stock rear LCA bushings. It's just the way it is.

I thought these were for the front. These are for the rear?

You should have bought the ones with added caster (offset bushing)

I'm all happy and silly with mine and whatnot. Really snaps back to center.

My wife destroyed our OEM bushings in just under 20,000 miles.

I really had no idea, but I hated the float on the center, and the whip-around feeling of too much steering input at high speeds. Now much better feel 4sure.

AVO>Rallitek>to me.

Wow, dats some good reading material rit'der.

This could be tricky...finding the right shop not to hose you.

It is seriously an hour job....tops.

Three bolts per LCA.....expand a scrap piece of pipe to match bushing outer race, press out....reverse.

I guess the only reason you'd need help is the bolts are pretty heavy duty, and not everyone owns a hydraulic press.

Any machineshop, or garage should have a press, then get a muffler shop guy to make you a pressing tool out of scrap exhaust pipe (you only need a 4" or so piece of pipe)...take your NEW LCA bushing to the shop to help with measurements (nothing better than the real thing)...that will take 30sec...at the MOST. I bet you get it done for free.

Man I paid like $250 at Performance Alingment in Cincy because my LCA's were still on the car. This price did include an alignment too though. I would recomend taking your LCA's off and just bring ing them to the shop to have the new ones pressed in.

I NEED INSTALL COSTS. I'M A SIMPLE PRIMATE UNABLE TO USE TOOLS. HELP ME PLEASE!!! (See my picture in Ruskibear's avatar).

All in cost me about $350. Bushings, alignment and installation.

When Srgdrum first told me about these bushings I was very sceptical. Why replace the stockers, I couldn't justify it as the car is a DD. Then I saw they were both clearly cracked and torn at 55k, almost all the way through on one side, that forced my hand.

I also asked Tytek to check his out, guessing that his were cracked. Sure enough they were. He has the extended plan so he is getting the stockers replaced at the dealer. If you haven't looked at yours yet, do it now.

Couldn't believe it made that much difference but it really does. If you care about how the car tracks and feels this mod is worth the money. Tic (new vendor if you haven't heard) has them in stock too and offers free shipping. :)shameless plug

Man I paid like $250 at Performance Alingment in Cincy because my LCA's were still on the car. This price did include an alignment too though. I would recomend taking your LCA's off and just bring ing them to the shop to have the new ones pressed in.

Damn you got ripped...oh...wait a second...nvm...

All in cost me about $350. Bushings, alignment and installation.

When Srgdrum first told me about these bushings I was very sceptical. Why replace the stockers, I couldn't justify it as the car is a DD. Then I saw they were both clearly cracked and torn at 55k, almost all the way through on one side, that forced my hand.

I also asked Tytek to check his out, guessing that his were cracked. Sure enough they were. He has the extended plan so he is getting the stockers replaced at the dealer. If you haven't looked at yours yet, do it now.

Couldn't believe it made that much difference but it really does. If you care about how the car tracks and feels this mod is worth the money. Tic (new vendor if you haven't heard) has them in stock too and offers free shipping. :)shameless plug

I got new OEM bushings pressed in at the dealer and it took them around 1hr; they charged SOA $225 IIRC for the repair and parts.

The vibration/shimmy under braking is gone and the precise on center feel is back, too! I had 65k miles on the stockers... btw.

Anyone know if the stockers are covered under warranty?
Yes, but be advised that the official Subaru stance is that not all bushings that exhibit this condition need to be replaced. I'd say it depends on the actual condition of the bushes and how strict the dealer service department is about warranty coverage.

Archived