LegacyGT.com

System install pics (56k warning)

doogdog

In an effort to get better audio out of my car I have elected to install an Alpine CDA-9855 in the cubby location. Getting tired of the lack of sound quality wit the wire FM modulator for my XM. I had a rather large system on my WRX that was just the way I wanted it. I'm trying to one up that system, I think I can do it. I've already installed Polk db6500 components in the front doors and Polk db650's in the rear doors,

This is what I'm going to install...

Alpine CDA-9855 head unit.

XM adapter

I Pod controlloer module.

500W RF 2 channel amp

500W RF 4 channel amp

1 farad cap and all the other bling install goodies.

Polk Momo 12" Sub (Lexan curved back)

I've started with making the harness for the Apline Head unit, all connections were soldered and crimp capped. I will attempt to use a line out converter on the stock stereo to an imput on the Alpine Deck to utilize the factory 6 disc changer.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTgxOTc2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next I made an amp rack to go in place of the foam tray liner. I made it out of 3/4" MDF with a 1/2" layer of plywood on top. It's heavy but I like the way the plywood holds the screws. I have a tendancy to over build and over engineer everything I do, this is no exception. About one hundred 1" brads, 5 screws, and a half a tube of Power Grab.:eek:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTgxOTY5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

In Progress...

Why use spray mount and a couple of staples when you can use massive ammounts of spray mount and HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of staples.:D

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTgxOTcyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Here's a pic of the amps screwed down, along with the cap and fuse terminal. I also installed a handle and hinged it on the far side for spare tire access.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTgxOTc3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

if you soldered everything, why did you use crimp caps? You should just use shrink tube. It is a much cleaner install.

Agreed, however, I'm impatient and was by myself. I would have if I had a hand, besides, everything is in the dash not to be seen.

Rick

More pics as progress continues.

Its nice, I like it. one question tho, how will you take the spare tire out? with all the connections..

If you look at the back of the amp rack it's hinged, all the connections will lat on top of the amp rackand will be unaffected as long as I heep tem close to the hinge.

Rick

hey your set up looks nice, i did the same thing but i was rushing so i cut out a section of the foam tray for the amp to fit into (i'll post pics later). Unfortunately, I ran into a problem....it gets super hot and there is no air circulation under the spare tire well cover, so my amp cuts turns after about 1.5 - 2 hrs of constant play. i'm currently planning/building an amp rack similar to urs but with a cooling system(fans). Since you're still in build-mode maybe you can incorporate a cooling system into yours b/c i hate it when i'm driving around and my amp just dies. hope this helps and again good job on a very clean, well designed amp-rack!!

Hey Rick,

not sure if you remember me but my name is Snir and you came to my house with Mark to pick up the STI clock. anyway, i own a 05 legacy gt and i am doing a very similar install right now. the only question i had is if you just hooked all the wiring in all 3 harnesses or you just gave the stock radio power and illumination.

thanks

Snir

Hey Rick,

not sure if you remember me but my name is Snir and you came to my house with Mark to pick up the STI clock. anyway, i own a 05 legacy gt and i am doing a very similar install right now. the only question i had is if you just hooked all the wiring in all 3 harnesses or you just gave the stock radio power and illumination.

thanks

Snir

I didn't hook up all 8 speaker wires and the antenna amp.

On the harness I hooked up the:

12 Volt (red)

Memory (yellow)

Ground (black)

Illumination (orange)

Dimmer (orange/white)

I have the 14 pin harnesses, looking at the pinout I connected wires 6, 1, 11, 10, and 7.

PM me if you need more help.

Rick

here's my setup for now, like doogdog everything was custom and had to be built, i did 8 speakers (2 sets of separates), 2 amps 1 farad cap, and running LOC's off factory deck, i have AVO adapter for aftermarket head unit but am not using it as of now. I chose this method do to heat issues. Everything was soldered and if i could add the hours spent installing and building everything its easily 20 or more hours. So needless to say this is not done, i will eventually redo the box so its flush. The pic isn't that good because it looks like the trunk is full when in fact there is enough room for a nice sized suite case sitting long ways, you can also open the hatch to get the spare tire no problem. I'll have more pics when i redo the sub.

1839122803_DSC01966(Large).JPG.d2c03935a2c8beb0d5e86160dadb7248.JPG

Hey Rick, have you got these amps hooked up yet? I'm looking at doing something similiar, 3 amps in the spare well. Tell me, how are you venting your amp rack? Also, have you figured out how you're getting lg power wires back there yet (inside or outside)?

I've been researching different ways to do some venting back there & have come up with a couple solutions but haven't built anything yet. Would like to hear your appoach.

Hey Rick, have you got these amps hooked up yet? I'm looking at doing something similiar, 3 amps in the spare well. Tell me, how are you venting your amp rack? Also, have you figured out how you're getting lg power wires back there yet (inside or outside)?

I've been researching different ways to do some venting back there & have come up with a couple solutions but haven't built anything yet. Would like to hear your appoach.

As for the venting I'm not going to bother. I have a similar setup in my wife's car for over two years (2001 CR-V) with no problems (both amps are RF's). The amps are not hooked up yet, should have some more pics tommorow with some preliminary wires run. All the wires will run to the front (of the car) portion of the spare tire well so that it can be lifted for access to the spare tire, you'll see what I mean later when the pics are up. I figured out the wire runs today, pics of those as they progress, they will be on the inside. If I find that I need to vent this whole assembly, I will probably paint some soffit vents (round) black and hole saw through the cover. I have also been thinking of using a relay and a fan, everything is there and it wouldn't be too hard.

Rick

I know it won't work on mine, I'm jamming 3 amps in there, two are class-A, so they'll be very hot. Add to that the well sits between the two mufflers, I need an active venting system. But I don't want to put vents in a spot where something I'm carrying may block them. Any ideas?

I know it won't work on mine, I'm jamming 3 amps in there, two are class-A, so they'll be very hot. Add to that the well sits between the two mufflers, I need an active venting system. But I don't want to put vents in a spot where something I'm carrying may block them. Any ideas?

There are two rubber plugs in the tire well, if you remove the spare tire you would get a lot more room to cool the amps down. You could also vent the warm air out the two rubber plugs. You'd have to rig up some sort of one way valve. It can be don, just get creative.

Rick

Archived