LegacyGT.com

newbie to the forums and subaru

hey guys/gals,

I just bought my very first EVER Subaru product. I believe I made a great purchase. I picked up a 1998 Legacy GT awd with the 176xxx for 2 grand. Needs a front wheel bearing but other then a few dings and paint chips nothing major.

Motor just had timing belt and water pump replace.

So what things do I need to check and or change to keep this baby rolling for another 100000 plus

Thanks Ill post up some pictures after I get her out of the garage.

Welcome welcome. Second recommendation to check the HG. There's a tab on the new gaskets that tell you if it's the new or old one. It wouldn't hurt to check the timing belt too, then the usual.. air filter, last oil change, oh and check your struts. Pretty normal to need to be replaced at the age.

Specifically if you have any oily residue in the coolant overflow tank or see any bubbles in there when the car is warmed up and running, you may have an internal headgasket leak, which the EJ25D engine (the engine the Legacy GT came with) is known for .

However, at 176K miles it may have already had a problem with headgaskets and has been fixed by the previous owner, in which you should have no future problems with it. Good luck and enjoy your Subaru (I have a '98 also and just picked up an '05 Impreza)

I just found out that the head gaskets were replaced at the time the timing belt and water pump were replaced. YAY !

Is it normal for EJ25D engine to burn O2 sensors? Check engine just came on and code was O2 sensor. Also has a KN cold air intake on it.

been looking at installing different struts on it. I assume with 179xxx its probably time, even if just a regular maintenance thing. I heard about throwing struts from a ? ? ? ? ? ? to raise ride height a bit? Which ones will work on my Legacy GT ? A lot of fab work or direct bolt on?

Also thinking of throwing a header with some bigger exhaust on it - good or bad idea? It will be my daily driver and I drive around 90 miles a day round trip for work. Just trying to get a little more mileage out of here. Hotter coil ?

Welcome! Raising the ride height will not help with mileage. It will make it a touch worse. Coils do nothing. Headers and an exhaust will increase your power a bit, especially if you get it tuned on a dyno. Maybe 20-25 WHP tops. One way to increase mileage will be to buy some new, low-rolling resistance tires. They won't handle for crap, but you may be able to pick up 1-1.5 MPG from them. Good luck with your GT!

Archived