LegacyGT.com

Phantom ticking

Last few weeks or so I've been hearing this odd ticking noise in my car. Now I know lots of things can cause ticking so I'm going to provide as much info as my little OCD mind can remember.

The noise seems to be worse on cold starts, the colder it is the louder it is at first. Driving it for awhile makes it somewhat quieter, but doesnt get rid of it.

The noise is most audible in the cabin at low speeds where it sounds like it is RPM related. At higher 40+ speeds the sound is barely audible. I've poked around in the engine bay playing with the throttle but unless immediately after a cold start the sound is very quiet in the engine bay itself and its location seems to change depending on where my head is. Sometimes it sounds like the front, other times the back, quieter directly above the engine itself. Loudest spot seemed around the rear passenger area.

Noise is most audible while the car is actually moving. It will make the noise if you rev while pressing the brake while in drive, but seems a tad quieter. In park or neutral the noise is pretty quiet unless the engine just started.

Any ideas oh what it could be? I'm somewhat leaning towards an exhaust leak near the manifold since its louder in the cabin. I saw some video of a guy with an impreza outback that had a very similar noise and heard leaks near there sound very mechanical, but I'm no expert.

Archived