LegacyGT.com

Engine "Ticking"

So my car has developed a tick, which seems to run exactly in tune with the RPMs. I can only assume then that this happens to be an internal issue. Since I don't have the tools, nor really the time, to check it out myself (and may I add, naught the experience neither), I am going to have this checked out by a shop. I was curious, does this sound like a timing issue? My friend who was listening as well was assuming a bad valve spring. Curious, what do you guys think I could expect for an issue and perhaps a bill?

It isn't very erratic. It seems to stay about the same, pretty close to 1K RPMs. Usually when I fire it up it will immediately jump up to 2K+ and then come back down to the correct range, without stuttering or fluttering. (It used to, but that was when it had the 2.2 ECU and 2.5 motor). My friend with another Legacy said fortunately it doesn't sound like rod knock. I'm still pretty new to car maintenance, so I am not sure myself if it sounds like it or not.

It's more like a ticking noise, that is the best I can describe it. If it helps any, my engine moves a decent bit in the bay vs. my friends engine.

• I Donated

if it jumps around the engine bay compared to your friends Legacy, you have bad motor mounts. Simple fix...and not too expensive either. However it will require a engine support bar or engine picker to do.

Have someone look at your valve clearance about the ticking noise

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

For engine mounts, you can use ANY EJ series engine mount.

Transmission mounts get a little confusing. For automatic trans mounts, there are upgrades available but I can't tell you whats what. Contact "baddog" because he has gone though the hell of figuring it out and he can tell you all about it. For the 5MT, all the mounts are the same....I actually have a 2011 WRX trans mount on my 95 Legacy.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Now that I know that, I am unsure what to grab. I could get Cusco's two engine mounts and tranny mount, or get STI "Group N" mounts all around, plus pitch stop mount for about the same price. Sounds like the Cusco is great at damping, but is obviously more expensive, while the Group N transfers the vibration to the car, but you get more for the money. Plus they use them on their rally cars.....hmmmmmmm.

• I Donated

It depends on what you want. The Cusco mounts are a little bit softer and flex more....they are not as good as the Group N mounts if you're looking for performance.

I did GroupN mounts (engine/trans) in a 2011 WRX (thats why I have the stock mounts now lol) and I didn't notice any extra noise or vibrations from them...but I could defiantly tell that the drive line was on much stiffer mounts by the way it responded.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I think Group N it is. Thinking about it, I want my car to be better offroad as well as on road. Cusco is great and all, but STI's rally team...well we all know about that! I want performance, as well as reliability. Thank you for your input.

• I Donated

Not a problem at all.

Some other mods you may want to look into are rear lockout bolts, polyurethane bushings all around, rear toe lock, adjustable lateral links, etc

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Thanks Brokin, I will definitely be looking into upgrading all suspension bushings and connections in the future. Hopefully once I get the mounts upgraded, and the internals checked out/fixed, the car will not give me any more problems and I can start saving for *wanted* upgrades

• I Donated
I'm 99.99% sure the pitch stop mount for the WRX is the same as our cars, but I haven't done it myself so I can't tell you 100% sure its the same. I can however tell you that looking at one of those and looking at the ones on our cars, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Well, if it doesn't fit....I'll blame you! lolol jk jk. Ordering the new mounts now. If it doesn't fit, well maybe I will have something to sell off to a local subbie club member. And then that will be known for sure for future members.

• I Donated

It comes with the following

Front control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, front & rear sway bar bushings and manual transmission shifter bushings.

The following fits

rear trailing arm bushings & shifter bushings.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

On the plus side, I have a friend who is building up a 240SX/Silvia powerhouse, and he was pretty stoked with this bushing set for the car. Heard good things, too bad it isn't completely applicable to our cars. I wonder if one were to upgrade the control arms, if new bushings would come with?

Archived