LegacyGT.com

squeeking

so my car has developed bit of a squeeking probem under the hood. at first, it was only upon starting and warming up, but it is consistent now and gets louder when the engine is revved. i tried to source where the noise was coming from and it appears to be the part directly to the right of my alternator. what is this part. and if i replace that, should i replace the serpentine belt as well.

• I Donated

to the right of the alternator when you're standing at the front of the car.....or from the perspective of the driver seat?

If youre talking about standing from the front of the car, sounds like you're talking about the A/C compressor. Check the condition and tension of the belt before you go replacing parts. A/C compressors are not cheap

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

it would be the ac compressor then. thank you. when i purchased the car, it came with new serpentine belts so i will go ahead and slap the new one on, hopefully that will cure it. is there a way to tension them, or do they just lose tension with age and wear.

I had a bad squeaking I while ago. It was the ac belt rubbing on the timing belt cover cause it jumped a tooth. It could also be the tensioner pulley. Try to get some penetrating spray, spray the pulleys. When it stops that's where you need to fix.

You should also check your ac clutch when press the ac button does it get louder?

• I Donated
Take a look at this guide. It shows how to do the belt. Maybe it will help you a little bit. Guide is on a WRX, but everything is the same

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I didn't have much time, and I was working in the dark...but I used penetrating spray on all of the pulleys and it didn't seem to help much or at all. The cover for mine is non-existent, it wasn't there when I bought the car so no rubbing issues. I forgot to check whether or not using the AC exacerbated the problem, tomorrow I will check that. I'm starting to think the noise is originating elsewhere, and squeeking may not be the best description, more like a high pitched version of the standard cranking noise....

I know my intake hoses are not properly routed, so I need to get those corrected. I am thinking they may have something to do with it.

• I Donated
Spraying penetrating oil on a bad pulley won't always get rid of the noise. This isn't really a proper diagnostic tool. If you want to do this, you as well need to take the belts off and spin the pulleys by hand to see if you can feel any grinding

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Gotcha. Wish I got out of school and work earlier than 8PM so I could have some daylight. If it is indeed a recent problem with the pulleys or belts, do you suppose I would be safe driving 10-20 miles a day until the weekend?

Archived