LegacyGT.com

Need some help with engine problem..

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some insight on a problem I am having...

I recently installed a motor from a 93 Legacy. At first it ran great, I am concerned that maybe I ran it without coolant too long during the coolant fill process. :(

Before the fill it ran great, now it is hard to start, and if it does start, it will die instantly if you try to give it some gas. If you are able to get the RPMs up by feathering the throttle, it just sort of spudders and bogs..

I suspected that my coolant sensor might have gone out... Any thoughts??

I did put my meter on it as per the Haynes manual, and I got 0.65 OHMs. This is way off what it should be. I do wonder if my meter is off, but I ordered a sensor anyway..

Any advice would be great!!!!!! What else to check? Would the coolant sensor make it behave that way??

Thanks in advance.

Well the sensor and new plugs didn't help. After some messing around, I found that it the car will idle and drive IF the MAF is unplugged. If the MAF is plugged in, it stalls after a few minutes...

Is my MAF faulty ?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

I have a parts car, so I swapped the MAFs . Same result.

This is strange...but I just did a compression check thinking maybe the compression might be low on one side. Maybe headgasket issues..

The readings were WAY too high, and very too much. Check this out:

215 psi 187 psi

225 psi 195 psi

The Haynes book says the should be 156 - 185 psi...

I am going to test again right now....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Outcome? Nothing.... I got a bit frustrated, and it has sat since...

I actually put this engine in my Volkswagen camper. There must be a problem with the harness. I am going to pull the complete harness, and re do it. Or I might make a new harness with the parts from a 95 that I parted out.

Archived