LegacyGT.com

SCRAPING sound during cold engine start?

I've noticed when I start my car in cold temperatures (< 40*) I hear a scraping sound come from the engine bay. It literally sounds like someone is dragging something on the ground. It's only momentary (about half a second), right when the engine starts, and I don't hear it again once I start driving. I don't notice that the car runs any differently, nor do I smell anything abnormal. I've looked through all of the "strange sound cold start" threads that I could find but none mentioned a specific scraping sound. I saw knocking and squealing sounds being mentioned, and my sound is definitely not either of those. Any ideas what this might be?

i have the same. not sure if it's the same sound you guys are referring to. it's like a screech after the engine catches.

i suspect it might be the starter not "releasing" after it starts the engine, aka, bendix is not retracting.

My starter makes a sound like a cat hissing/screaming on cold starts, it's intermittent too.

Exactly as I would describe this.

I noticed this happened to me at least last winter and possibly the year before that as well. So far everything has been working as intended, but it is a little creepy when I hear this noise. I have to beleive it's the starter motor or something along those lines as it's only ever happened when starting (and lasted less than .5 sec)... maybe a dead spot on the starter would explain why it's intermittent? Gil_ong has a good thought as well...

Just throwing out some ideas at this point...

Subscribed :confused:

it's not the belts slipping as the engine starts? that's what I'm getting. no one has really ever been able to make it stop. and it only does it on cold mornings.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived