LegacyGT.com

Possible problem? Ideas

Ok. So I have noticed a faint high pitched whistle rpm related. Sorta gets louder when I spool. My DAM is a constant 1, but my Air fuel learning is almost +12 and I saw my feedback knock increase to 10 once. No roughness in any cylinder. No crazy smoke from the tail pipe. I can hit target boost, but the car revs sorta laggy. Going to pull the intercooler and pray there isn't oil.

I replaced the turbo inlet this summer so I know that's good.

Possible ideas?

Ok. So I have noticed a faint high pitched whistle rpm related. Sorta gets louder when I spool. My DAM is a constant 1, but my Air fuel learning is almost +12 and I saw my feedback knock increase to 10 once. No roughness in any cylinder. No crazy smoke from the tail pipe. I can hit target boost, but the car revs sorta laggy. Going to pull the intercooler and pray there isn't oil.

I replaced the turbo inlet this summer so I know that's good.

Possible ideas?

Air fuel learning points to a leak. Could be anywhere, but start with the TB hose.

Why are you praying there isn't oil in the intercooler? 100% of turbo Subarus have oil residue in the intercooler.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Vac/boost leak perhaps. The whistle could be air escaping ever so slightly. That could explain the a/f correction as well as feeling a little laggy. The turbo could still be achieving full boost with a small leak.

Any mods? Could be the intercooler leaking or the throttle body hose. Do you have a wideband or can you tell if it's running rich or lean on acceleration?

This would be the simple issue. Hopefully it's not the turbo itself, but it's hard to diagnose a sound without hearing it.

I'm just worried the turbo shit the bed. Car had 180k miles. I replaced the stock vf40 at 100k. Car is stage 2 and tmic. Car was fine. I did find that the hose from the manifold to the MAP sensor fell off yesterday. I thought that was my issue but whine remains. What's weird is when I do a pull in say 3rd engine hangs at 5k rpm and then goes. Hmm just thought maybe the 5eat is slipping...gotta do some looking at that. Still does not explain the knocking and pegged air learn

Nvm the boost leak. Your adding a ton of fuel so maybe that turbo inlet has a leak at one of the connections pulling in a bunch of unmetered air. You said the MAP sensor line was off, check the vacuum line from the intake runner to the fpr. Maybe your not getting a rise in fuel pressure with boost.

If it's a whine coming from the turbo itslef, then don't let that thing shit the bed while it's on your car. You don't want to have to buy a new block with your turbo.

Does the engine hang at any rpm while in the other gears or just third? I want to state I'm not asking you to go do pulls if your car is leaning out and knocking.

Exhaust leak-probably at manifold to up pipe junction by front O2 sensor. Wet your hands and feel around all of the flanged exhaust joints. Have someone rev it a little to give more pressure. Most of the time, a whistle is exhaust.

I have been known on occasion to have a Custom turbo or two. I've built a couple of them. :)

Not sure about the hanging. I just thought about it as i typed that last post. I will check on the way to work. It pulls fine if I say put it in 5th and build boost with high load. If it does not slip there I think I should be ok with the trans.

The turbo itself when I last had the inlet off was dead tight as far has shaft play. I was very impressed. That was maybe 3 or so months ago. I do not have smoke from the exhaust either. The whine is not present if i rev it in Neutral only under load. At idle my boost gauge reads 21inHg so thats about right.

I guess I can get it smoke checked for vacuum leaks, as well as inspect the shaft again and take the tmic off.

Curious as to why my DAM is still 1 with -11 timing being pulled? Is it possible an 02 sensor is going bad..could be seperate issues

Not sure about the hanging. I just thought about it as i typed that last post. I will check on the way to work. It pulls fine if I say put it in 5th and build boost with high load. If it does not slip there I think I should be ok with the trans.

The turbo itself when I last had the inlet off was dead tight as far has shaft play. I was very impressed. That was maybe 3 or so months ago. I do not have smoke from the exhaust either. The whine is not present if i rev it in Neutral only under load. At idle my boost gauge reads 21inHg so thats about right.

I guess I can get it smoke checked for vacuum leaks, as well as inspect the shaft again and take the tmic off.

Curious as to why my DAM is still 1 with -11 timing being pulled? Is it possible an 02 sensor is going bad..could be seperate issues

The DAM dosnt always signify there being a problem. But get it smoked and dont push too much meanwhile.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Archived