LegacyGT.com

Subie Family heading to Hampton/JBLE from OKC

schado

Hello everyone,

Figured I'd start up a introduction thread, as I wasn't sure which thread to post in or whether to bump an old thread for an intro. Courtesy the USAF, my family and I are on our way to JB Langley-Eustis from Oklahoma City. We'll be arriving in the area in January, and have a lot to things to both look into and look forward to. Case in point, our vehicles, as Oklahoma doesn't require yearly inspections or emissions testing.

Speaking of our cars, my 2008 LGT and my wife's 2013 WRX:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/GuttedLS/20140918_173335_zps8396f9f0.jpg

The Subaru community in Oklahoma has flourished and expanded in the last few years, and my wife and I have become fairly active in it. We would like to continue being active in the local Subaru community once we arrive in Virginia, and I'd also love to not be the only modified LGT for miles around like I am now here in OKC, hahaha. Also, are there any fellow E85 users in the Hampton area that could comment on availability and quality? I use it year round here, and would love to do so there too pending availability. I've found several stations using online locators, but I'd prefer to hear more on the matter via someone that is actually in the area.

That said, I look forward to arriving and eventually meeting anyone in Hampton/JBLE and greater surrounding area.

-Steve

08 NBP Legacy GT BNR16G E85

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

07 FXT Sports. Stock :lol:

No emissions testing in anywhere in Virginia except northern VA. :)

I don't know what fuel availability is like at the bases on the peninsula but there is E85 available at the Norfolk NEX.

I live in Virginia Beach right now while my wife is on the USS Truman.

To answer some questions, there is an annual safety inspection if you plan to register your vehicles in VA. They also require front plates here.

There is an E85 station in Newport News near the Patrick Henry Mall (off of I64) that some of the NASIOC members use. The station is on the Peninsula side where JBLE is located.

There is a large following for Subarus in the area. A lot of the meets are coordinated through the Hampton Roads Subaru Information Page. Weekly meets include Peninsula meets on Tuesday evenings and Virginia Beach meets on Saturday evenings. Don't worry, you won't be the only blue modified LGT.

Zen

• 3 months later...

After three days of driving, my family and I have arrived in the area and I hope I don't have to make a drive like that again anytime soon.

I haven't seen much, but I can't wait to get out and about and start learning the area. That, and flashing back to E85, haha.

See you guys around.

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

Schado: Welcome to VA. I was down at Langley AFB before all this joint-base stuff. :-)

I'm headed out to OK this summer, but to Enid. Seems support for Subies will be scarce out there based on the nearest dealership seems to be in OKC.

Got a question for you. What's the highest octane rating out in OK? I've got an STI that's tuned for 93 right now so if it's lower I may have to look into a possible re-tune before heading out.

Welcome to VA again. Just watch out for the crazy drivers in the Hampton Roads area :-)

Schado: Welcome to VA. I was down at Langley AFB before all this joint-base stuff. :-)

I'm headed out to OK this summer, but to Enid. Seems support for Subies will be scarce out there based on the nearest dealership seems to be in OKC.

Got a question for you. What's the highest octane rating out in OK? I've got an STI that's tuned for 93 right now so if it's lower I may have to look into a possible re-tune before heading out.

Welcome to VA again. Just watch out for the crazy drivers in the Hampton Roads area :-)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm having fun driving around, learning the area, and figuring out what the gates on/off ramps are for. :lol:

The highest octane rating you can consistently find is 91, not counting E85. Not fun, especially coming from 93. You'll find 91 with and without ethanol added in it in OK, and I'd go with the 100% when you can, although it'll be a little more expensive. You can find stations with 93 in OK, but those will be in the OKC area and probably won't be of much help.

Also, look up the "Oklahoma Subies" on facebook. A huge group of good people, and very family like. Estensive events, get togethers of all sorts, and those often on a weekly basis. Although the dealers in OK are to the east and South of Enid, the Subaru presence in OK has blossomed and is ever increasing. There's plenty of help and support you can find via that group.

Good luck out there, and be prepared for the weather.

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

Thanks for the welcome. I'm having fun driving around, learning the area, and figuring out what the gates on/off ramps are for. :lol:

The highest octane rating you can consistently find is 91, not counting E85. Not fun, especially coming from 93. You'll find 91 with and without ethanol added in it in OK, and I'd go with the 100% when you can, although it'll be a little more expensive. You can find stations with 93 in OK, but those will be in the OKC area and probably won't be of much help.

Also, look up the "Oklahoma Subies" on facebook. A huge group of good people, and very family like. Estensive events, get togethers of all sorts, and those often on a weekly basis. Although the dealers in OK are to the east and South of Enid, the Subaru presence in OK has blossomed and is ever increasing. There's plenty of help and support you can find via that group.

Good luck out there, and be prepared for the weather.

Thanks for the info. Will have to look up the fellow Suby owners out there. Seems I'll have to consult IAG again to see if they can map me a 91 tune.

Archived