LegacyGT.com

Both low beams out (at the same time???)

My dealer said Subaru shipped a ton of Legacy's with the wrong bulbs. Both of my low beams went in the first 20K miles. The lady that runs the service counter had both of hers go at the same time.

My service tech said they have been replacing both bulbs on all 05-06 Legacy's as soon as one bulb goes.

H7 bulbs generally have a very short lifespan compared to other halogen bulbs.

When you say they both went at the same time, did they both shut off as if you were turning them off, or did one go out and then you noticed the second one too?

Yes as if I shut then off OR pulled the hand brake.

It really looks like they both went out at the same time. I was in front of the car the night before and both lights were working. Could both go overnight?

I am just waiting for the rain to stop so I can go outside and pull the bulbs.

Ok both bulbs blew practically at the same time. Dealer replaced them under warranty today.

This was the first time I went on a trip (150 mile) with all accessories on...lights, all three wipers, A/C, plug-in GPS, Stereo and AWD doing its thing in the rain. That was apparently too much for the headlights:lol: To their credit they have lasted almost 3 years!

Yes as if I shut then off OR pulled the hand brake.

It really looks like they both went out at the same time. I was in front of the car the night before and both lights were working. Could both go overnight?

I am just waiting for the rain to stop so I can go outside and pull the bulbs.

You can deactivate the DRL's the wiring harness is tucked up under the driver's side foot well just above the pedals. Just disconnect it and viola no more DRL's but your headlamps will function as normal.

DRL isn't the issue. I disabled DRL's within 200 miles of new. Both bulbs blew within 25,000 miles. Subaru got bad bulbs for all 2005 models, and eventually got the problem fixed sometime in the 2006 model year. There is a physical feature that readily identifies them. There is a ring that is either orange or blue (iirc), but I don't remember which was good and which was bad. Either way, since I got the RIGHT ones, I've gone another 30,000 miles without either going out.

I had the bulbs burn out twice with the DRL's activated. Once on the original bulbs, once again on a set of Sylvania bulbs. The third set I put in lasted until I got rid of the car and I deactivated the DRL's.

I found the easiest way to solve the problem was to just get rid of the car.

Anybody ever have BOTH headlights go out at the same time? I haven't had a chance to check yet but could something else cause this? OR is it just a coincidence that both went at the same time?:confused::confused:

What model year car do you drive?

What model year car do you drive?

05 wagon. 2.5i

My stockers blew within 15 mins of each other, in the dark of course - around 35k miles.

This is exactly what happened to me but it was more like well under 5 minutes. I'm convinced its some kind of power fluctuation that causes it, everything on the car handles the fluctuation but the H7 bulbs cannot.

You know what would be nice Subaru? If I could get a bulb out indicator on my next Subaru!! What do you say? Huh? I mean my old 1988 Benz has that for crying out loud :lol:

Aside from the random '06 or later, buring bulbs to the point of frustration is always certain '05 models.

It's not the bulbs, it's not DRL's (though the combination doesn't help).

Anybody think it's a crappy voltage regulator that was later phased out?

Anybody think it's a crappy voltage regulator that was later phased out?

I believe its something like that. As soon as I pulled out of the parking garage into the driving rain I started switching everything on one buy one. Somewhere in the sequence of getting things on or shortly afterwards, as I hit the highway, the lights blew. Next time it rains at night I'm going to take the car out and see if I can reproduce :)

LGT's eat up low beams. Either learn to carry spares, or disconnect your DRL's. The DRL's are the cause of the problem, at least they were on my car.

Disabling the DRL's doesnt fix the problem. I have had my car for a little over 3 years now and have been through.. I think 2 sets of bulbs? But the second set lasted the same amount of time as the first. I think I am on my third set now..

Archived