LegacyGT.com

NAV Motion Lock Out

BillN96

I know this has been discussed before but the thread has been diluted with a lot of off topic talk.

How can I disable the motion lockout of the OEM Navigation System so my wife (or any passenger) can enter information while the vehicle is in motion? In another thread (http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=628552&postcount=8) it is talked about disconnecting, reconnecting, and disconnecting a wire on the DVD unit under the driver's seat. It is not very practable to do this every time I get into the car. There has to be an easier way.

Does anyone know of a wire that I can permanently disconnect or a code that I can put in to put the NAV system into a service mode or something? PM me if you do not want to post this info but I am desperate because of the numerous family trips that we take.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've been researching this for a while now. So far, there is only the toggle on/off wire hack that you know about.

I'm going to do some research this weekend and see if I can attack it another way (probably won't work but I need to check every scenario of possible ways).

-Parking brake sensor to the dvd unit.

I find it interesting that that signal isn't used. There's a wire for it but a strange thing I've found out after reading all the wireing manuals from subaru, and reading the car diagnostics of the nav system the park sensor is never used. Parking brake up, down, doesn't matter the nav always says its OFF (meaning brake is not on). Even in the Nav trouble shoot for the mechanics says not to worry about that signal. It will always show OFF.

Only thing is I don't know if it even matters because after reading the DV3200 manuals there is no mention of using that signal to take it out of "safe" mode. So chances are even if I get that signal correctly reading in the DVDnav unit it might not matter because the software still doesn't have an unlock programed into it.

- Another option I'm attempting is putting in a Euro map DVD or the SAB 9-5 dvd (both use the same dvd drive in our cars). Its a long shot but doesn't hurt to try.

- Final option is to hook up the kenwood G510 gps unit. That one is based on Garmin's technology. It also has an option to enable/disable input items while driving feature (I read the whole manual and found some cool things about that unit). Couple benefits here is that garmins mapping software is a lot better. It also has text to speech to read you the names of streets.

The unit should work in our screens, it only requires power and park signal to be wired to it (It doesn't use the speed sensor). It should plug into our screens just fine, but this is an asumption right now. Its suppose to be compatible with our screen with exception of XM radio and XM traffic reports. It's still on my testing list once I source a unit (its going to cost me $350 on ebay) kind of an expensive trial because if it doesn't work I'm stuck with a $350 gps unit. It's a reason why I'm leaving this as my last item to try.

Oh, and some things I found out while researching its interesting that the Subaru version of maps only come in 2d. The retail maps for the DV3200/3100 have 3d mapping included also.

Another thing I'm working on is getting rid of the "ACCEPT" notice on start up. This is separate from the DVD NAV system. In fact I've narrowed it down to being only an item programmed into the Screen's operating system. Unfortunately there is no easy way to reprogram the code on that screen. The software on that screen handles the Lawyers note on start up and handles the ECU readings (your MPG gauges). It is also a reason why you can't easily get other gauges on that screen. Unless you have someone that can recode the software of the Screen, you won't be getting items like BOOST on your screen. There is no unlock there is no special way to get it. Its coded in the software so you can't get into it to change.

The way i'm going to tackle the ACCEPT boot screen is I'm going to mimic the analog signals of the touch panel. I'll be making a circuit board to mimic the voltages given out by the touch panel when you touch that portion of the screen. It's not elegant but hey, it should work. If i'm lucky the touch panel is connected by a plug in cable. Which will be nice because I can make a plug and play board to do this (perfect for you people afraid of cutting and soldering stuff internally on your screen).

It's amazing the things you learn from reading the data sheets of all these devices. It would be nice if I can get my hands on more kenwood data sheets.

Some interesting things I've discovered while researching:

-There's an untapped port for a 6th button on our nav screen. It's pinned out on the circuit board, but is unused in the Legacy. It's probably the AUDIO button used in the tribeca.

-Touch panels determine your placement by voltage. It get's your Y axis voltage and your X axis location at different times. It can only sense one axis at a time, it switches between the two continuously.

-Our dvd drive is actually more related to the DV3100 not the DV3200. The difference is that the 3100 doesn't have Traffic monitor while the 3200 does.

-It won't matter what dvd region (ie euro) you use in the nav. It won't affect the AGREE start up screen because thats embeded in the Screen's programing. They are independent of each other.

I'll report back when I get more testing done. The thing that sucks is I read all the data sheets during work, when I wish I was sitting in the car or had the units on a bench at home to test on.

As mentioned the parking park doesn't seem to be involved in the lock out. This can be confirmed at very low speed (under 5 mph) when locked out functions become available while the car is in motion. The lockout must be speed related and therefore part of the software program.

you are probably correct about parking brake not involved with the lock out but no one has confirmed or denied it yet. I just want to eliminate all the variables before I end up buying the G510 unit. Better to start off with the least expensive test/mods first.

you are correct about the park sensor for AUX video but the Screen has its own park sensor signal. The NAV unit under the seat has one too.

The signal to the screen locks you out of the suby menues (calc,mpg,info, etc etc, aux vid in, etc etc).

The signal to the NAV unit doesn't seem to do anything at all. I find it funny that in the technical manuals for service tecs it said to not worry if the debug screen never shows that the park sensor as ON (meaning parking brake on).

If we're lucky (its a long shot) but if that wire to the NAV unit is an unused wire it may be possible to ground that line and force the NAV unit to see park sensor as ON. Thats the common hack for aftermarket in car navigation systems.

I'll do some testing today after I change oil. I should be able to at least confirm wether or not the park sensor does anything at all.

• 2 weeks later...

aux video in is hitting the INFO button twice. (only works if you have something pluged in, otherwise it won't go into that mode). There's another thread out there on how to do this.

No, there is no DVD playback from the GPS unit.

• 1 month later...

Archived