LegacyGT.com

18" Spec B wheels?

PGT

Hi All - I have a LGT Limited Wagon in SWP/Black int. on order. I have been looking at wheels.....please share your thoughts about the 18" Spec B wheels vs. a BBS or OZ wheel. I like the OEM fit and finish, but could find an aftermarket wheel I like too. $1200 shipped on the Spec B wheels vs. around $1200-$1600 for OZ's or BBS in an 18". I really want some Prodrive GC-010's, but don't see the point of the extra $1K, when that would pay for an exhaust (whenever one gets released). [url]http://www.kingofimports.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=86&idproduct=218[/url] Thoughts??? The 18" wheel has an anthracite finish vs. the silver on the 17"s.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For mine the Spec-B rims look fantastic regardless the colour of your car. If I was going to pick BBS, I would go the CH rims prehaps in 19"s even though that is a lot of rubber. Do a search inside tyres and you will find a few examples of what ppl are or have thought. Best of luck with your choice. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']For mine the Spec-B rims look fantastic regardless the colour of your car. If I was going to pick BBS, I would go the CH rims prehaps in 19"s even though that is a lot of rubber. Do a search inside tyres and you will find a few examples of what ppl are or have thought. Best of luck with your choice. Adam.[/quote] I love the CH rims and would gladly spend the coin....if they make them. Wasn't it decided that BBS didn't offer a CH fitment for Subaru's at this time, or did that change in the last 60 days? All I see on Tire Rack is RGR's or RK's.

Have you considered the ASA JH3 wheels sold by Tire Rack? They are supposedly 'Specially licensed BBS technology'- whatever that might mean. They have them in both 17" and 18" sizes for the Legacy. They are $209 a wheel. They look sharp on the white wagon on Tire Rack's site, but I have been unable to find any real life pictures of this wheel on a Legacy.

[quote name='WhiteWagon']Have you considered the ASA JH3 wheels sold by Tire Rack? They are supposedly 'Specially licensed BBS technology'- whatever that might mean. They have them in both 17" and 18" sizes for the Legacy. They are $209 a wheel. They look sharp on the white wagon on Tire Rack's site, but I have been unable to find any real life pictures of this wheel on a Legacy.[/quote] not really. I would buy RGR's instead. At $800-900, I think the Rota Formula's look best...either in anthracite or gold.

[quote name='kanoswrx']Where can you get the Spec B wheels for 1200 dollars? I really like the way the spec b wheels look with its 10 spoke pattern and bright silver finish.[/quote] I was talking to Kevin at kingofimports.com .....I am pretty sure that was the ballpark price, but don't quote me on it. We were doing quick calculations from the prices in Japanese Yen. There is a 17" in bright silver and an 18" in a darker gun-metal finish, plus cool STI lugnuts in several colors (black for me) On a separate note, I have been thinking about tint....going to go with Lumar FormulaOne Millenium (again). Any thoughts about charcoal vs. bronze? I was thinking bronze would look good with gold or bronze wheels, while the charcoal tint looks good with everything else. I know this is a wheels/tires forum, but it ties in with how the car looks with the new wheels

[quote name='patagonianwrx']I was talking to Kevin at kingofimports.com .....I am pretty sure that was the ballpark price, but don't quote me on it. We were doing quick calculations from the prices in Japanese Yen. There is a 17" in bright silver and an 18" in a darker gun-metal finish, plus cool STI lugnuts in several colors (black for me) On a separate note, I have been thinking about tint....going to go with Lumar FormulaOne Millenium (again). Any thoughts about charcoal vs. bronze? I was thinking bronze would look good with gold or bronze wheels, while the charcoal tint looks good with everything else. I know this is a wheels/tires forum, but it ties in with how the car looks with the new wheels[/QUOTE] $1200 shipped is a good price, as I got a quote from the dealer for someone else a few weeks ago, and the price, in yen, was 39,000Y each($400) and that doesn't include any shipping costs. They are also available in the standard anthracite, or bronze as on the WR ltd version of the JDM leggy.

[quote name='SC GT']Are you guys all talking about the same Spec B rims? The only ones I'm aware of are the silver and the gold. And $1200 shipped sounds like a great deal to me.[/QUOTE] those wheels look like silver versions of the WR-Limited wheels: [url]http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.subaru.co.jp%2flegacy%2fwrlimited%2futility%2f03%2findex.html[/url] (translated from Suby's Japanese site) Spec B wheels are available on the Spec B (duh), or as an accessory order from Subaru's catalog. Pics: [url]http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/paris_2004/0411_legacy_spec_b/[/url] or [url]http://www.kingofimports.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=86&idproduct=218[/url]

I see now. I'm talking about the 2.0 Spec B rims. The ones from the automobilemag.com link are the 3.0 Spec B rims. The ones in the King of Imports link are rims that [i]look[/i] like the 3.0 Spec B rims. I can see being able to get those for $1200 shipped. I'd be amazed if you could get brand new OEM JDM Spec B rims (2.0 or 3.0) for that much.

[quote name='GranTourer']So, what size are the spec.B wheels priced at $1200? Are the $1200 wheels the ones pictured in patagonianwrx's third link b/c those aren't spec.B or even Subaru brand? This whole thread has me very confused :confused:[/QUOTE] The link to the wheels at kingofimports.com show what the Spec B wheels look like. I was on the phone with Kevin and he had sent me a link for the Subaru accessories catalog for Japan over his instant chat function on his site. Unfortunately, I didn't save the links he sent me (Kevin - Can you post them somewhere so we can browse again?). I believe he said that he would post pics up on his site......I am not sure if the link he posted was of the actual wheel from the Subaru site or something else, but they looked exactly like that, so I used it for feedback. As for the price of $1200 - I said NOT to quote me on it, yet everyone is doing that...LOL. Kevin and I were talkin mostly about the quad tip STI exhaust in the catalog and trying to figure out pricing in Japanese and then convert to dollars....I may have gotten my prices mixed up. At this point, I was looking for feedback on looks alone....what looks good, what doesn't. I haven't decided whether spending $600, $1200, or $2400 on wheels is what I am going to do. So, the point of this post is not about cost [i]per se[/i], but general thoughts about what wheels look the best.

I like both the meaty "[i]elegant[/i]" 7-spoke and the thin "[i]sporty[/i]" 10-spoke spec.B wheels equally, so which ever one is cheaper or weighs less :D Oh, and brilliant silver finish b/c my Legacy is Obsidian Black. On a side note, I also like those Tommy Kaira wheels on King of Imports website. A bonus of the ProR is that they are forged and lightweight.

For folks who still wonder, spec B wheels are 18" 7J and wear 215/45R18 rubber (Potenza RE050A). I drive a JDM GT spec B (I think they're all JDMs anyways). For pics refer to my post in the Photos forum. I can take more wheel pics if this is useful.

Well....I am getting closer to the delivery of the car (satin white Legacy GT wagon)and need to make a decision. I really like the Prodrive GC-010s in British Black: [url]http://store1.yimg.com/I/fastwrx_1813_36783985[/url] I would be willing to ante up the $2200 to buy them, but it seems like a set has never been imported. Not sure if this is because of the cost or they are plain just not available. A good alternative to the Prodrive (and MUCH cheaper), are knock-off's from Rota: [url]http://www.subydude.com/parts/details.php?7171064[/url] They are not forged, but still lightweight. Obviously, not as strong but at $150 each, cheap to replace. The other choice is a set of gold WR edition wheels [url]http://www.kingofimports.com/productcart/pc/catalog/18AluminumLegacyWR.jpg[/url] These would be around $1500 I also like the OZ SuperLeggerras, but they don't appear to be available in anthracite anymore.

I love the CH rims and would gladly spend the coin....if they make them. Wasn't it decided that BBS didn't offer a CH fitment for Subaru's at this time, or did that change in the last 60 days? All I see on Tire Rack is RGR's or RK's.

Unsure mate to be honest but I couldnt understand why the CH rims would be no good, and agreed the CH RIMS look MAD and well worth extra coin especially in 19"'s

Adam.

PS Pictures from a member from M3Forum.com Thanks....

411012347_M3LagunaSecaBlueBBS3.jpg.79a3e7d607613a92bce804562756a708.jpg

This is nearest alternative as far as looks, but I like the 'smooth' look of the BBS, especially around the center. [url]http://www.subydude.com/parts/details.php?7171142[/url]

Yup....you are right. Funny, when you look at Tire Rack and choose a Legacy, it doesn't show RE's as a choice. If you choose a WRX, it does. Since they are only in an 18" fitment, it seems logical to be an option for both vehicles. Are you buying RE's, or the Rota Formula's? If Rota's, what color wheel and what color is your car? I have a white wagon on the way, and can't decide between gold or gunmetal (and cheap or expensive wheels).

Archived