LegacyGT.com

Engine swap question EZ30 or EZ36

So I'm thinking it would be a pretty sweet swap to drop a flat 6 in my GT.

How hard are these motors to find? Any sites I should be looking at?

Also, what would the wiring be like. I'm guess I'd need the harness and ECU? Or just ECU?

What would I do about engine mounts, I heard its not the same. For everything else, I think I'd be okay. I heard the max HP that tranny can handle is like 225. (I have a 5 spd)

I'm pretty sure that's what the EZ30 is at. Anyway, would be cool if someone has done it, or knows someone who has.

With the production numbers of SVX's in 1995 (When Subaru switched) - 1997 being so low, its probably not OBDII but its worth a shot.

You might also need a bigger radiator. If your car is an auto you also need as big of a transmission cooler as you can lay your hands on. If its a stick shift you will need to wire the new ECU into thinking the car is in neutral all the time, or else it won't even start. If you have the tools this switch is totally possible. The mounts would honestly probably be the least of your worries. What you should be worrying about is wiring and making everything fit nice and snug.

The EZ30 and EZ36 weren't in the SVX though. The SVX had the EG33 which was a 3.3L based off EJ22 internals with DOHC heads. The engine is pretty much an EJ22 with 2 extra cylinders... Pretty much an EJ22 and-a-half. It made 230 horses though, and sounds like an exotic supercar with the right exhaust. If you wanted an EZ30 or EZ36, be ready to shell out thousands upon thousands for it, since they aren't very old yet the prices will still be high for complete or longblock engines. Also, its important to note that the EG33 should drop right into the stock Legacy mounts if you make enough room for it, while the EZ30 and EZ36 will probably give you more trouble and require special fabrication to make fit.

Archived