LegacyGT.com

$200 for 45K?!?

Normally I do all my service at Irvine Subaru, but since moving 120+ miles north, the nearest Subi dealer is Subaru of Thousand Oaks.

So it's 45k on my Leg GT Wag, and so I took it in to see how much it is. I figured not too much since the 45k is an oil change and checking the clutch, brakes, tire rotate and inspecting the drivetrain.

Well, they wanted $200!!!

They said it included replacing the interior air filter, and doing a fuel injector cleaning - which was not included in the maintence schedule:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/schedules.jsp?schedulepage=2005myfed.html

I am still thinking that this is too much.

Is an injector cleaning really needed at 45K?

Wasn't that done on the 30K check - which included a lot more and was only $50 more - I think Thousand Oak may be a rip off - or am I just being cheep?

I'm over 70K miles, fuel injectors have never been cleaned. Save you money on the cabin air filter and do it yourself with a household HVAC filter. Works better than the $30-40 Scooby filter.

45K should just be oil change and tire rotation and inspect everything else. I think most dealer charge $100 for that.

You have to cut it to size. A few people here have done it. Buy whatever one you like. If you buy a large one for $20, that will be good for 4-6 changes. Considering how dirty my last one was at 6 months, you'll want to replace them often. I use the high qualty HEPA filter from the store. In 6 months, it was much dirtier than the factory filter after a year which means the factory one doesn't filter all that well.

Fuel Injector cleaning = $5 bottle of additive into the gas tank.

On the other hand, I do believe the cabin air filter is at least a $40 part on its own.

Hell, the fliers I receive from SMS say a 30/60/90k service is $500 or so. That's about double of what the fliers from Toyota dealers are for basically the same work.

wait till the 60k. that cost me $700:rolleyes:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

What is involved otherwise? :confused:

If they are doing it correctly the pressurized fuel injector cleaning mixure bottle is hooked to your fuel line and the fuel pump is disabled, the car runs on the cleaning mixture alone, this takes about 30 minutes to empty the bottle. Once that is complete the fuel lines are reconnected and the fuel pump is re-enabled. Then a secondary cleaner is added to the tank.

If they are just adding the cleaner to the tank they are not doing a proper fuel iduction cleaning...

You paid too much. That should cost about $450 tops.

that's not what I was quoted by subaru. mine was done independantly, but subarus quote was min. $600.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Normally I do all my service at Irvine Subaru, but since moving 120+ miles north, the nearest Subi dealer is Subaru of Thousand Oaks.

So it's 45k on my Leg GT Wag, and so I took it in to see how much it is. I figured not too much since the 45k is an oil change and checking the clutch, brakes, tire rotate and inspecting the drivetrain.

Well, they wanted $200!!!

They said it included replacing the interior air filter, and doing a fuel injector cleaning - which was not included in the maintence schedule:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/schedules.jsp?schedulepage=2005myfed.html

I am still thinking that this is too much.

Is an injector cleaning really needed at 45K?

Wasn't that done on the 30K check - which included a lot more and was only $50 more - I think Thousand Oak may be a rip off - or am I just being cheep?

Thousand Oaks is a rip off. You should drive 25 miles North to Ventura, they have a great service department. Last time I went to TO they did a crap wash job and scratched my hood. I am (reluctantly) taking my car back today so they can paint the scratch.

If they are doing it correctly the pressurized fuel injector cleaning mixure bottle is hooked to your fuel line and the fuel pump is disabled, the car runs on the cleaning mixture alone, this takes about 30 minutes to empty the bottle. Once that is complete the fuel lines are reconnected and the fuel pump is re-enabled. Then a secondary cleaner is added to the tank.

If they are just adding the cleaner to the tank they are not doing a proper fuel iduction cleaning...

Good to know. Thanks!

Archived