LegacyGT.com

how much boost does the AVO kit put out/can a 253 handle?

long story short, gonna boost the legg. so, how much boost does the AVO kit put out, or how much can the 253 handle safely?

Kit max PSI for that snail they include in the kit is significantly more than what we can handle in stock form. I believe it is similar to a TD04H with a custom actuator for low PSI operation.

AVO (Paul Hensen/AVO TurboWorld) has there AVO project car for sale I beleive they are parting the turbo kit and goods. They ran 7-9PSI safely on a 180K+ mile EJ253 for 75% of the R&D period.

Also I wanted to reply to your point you made in the other thread about EJ255 botom end and EJ253 top end....that is a damn good idea :lol: Hell no harness merge or extra plugs, coils etc etc.

If you decide to boost you will still need to swap in a stock LGT/WRX fuel pump and injectors but thats 3 hours of work.

Oh and to the original point there were three owners on these forums with the kit now with AVO moving on to the BRZ kit and the other guy selling out for a WRX ;) there is one but he is still living the dream. Running problem free with a very very nice install job and documentation.

On the initial install run wastegate boost until you get to a shop for a tune then I imagine a 8-9PSI tune tapering to 6psi

Links for your reading pleasure:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/avo-turbo-kit-1000-miles-later-162583.html?t=162583&highlight=AVO

AVO in the flesh!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/avo-turbokit-install-146784.html?t=146784&highlight=AVO

long story short, gonna boost the legg. so, how much boost does the AVO kit put out, or how much can the 253 handle safely?

I've been running 6lbs, which is typically the recommended (Put me at 201whp/205wtq). I'm not sure beyond that since I haven't ever turned it up. I don't plan on it though until I build the motor for more boost. Oh and if you ever have any questions regarding the Kit and install feel free to contact me, I'm still lurking around.

Also I wanted to reply to your point you made in the other thread about EJ255 botom end and EJ253 top end....that is a damn good idea :lol: Hell no harness merge or extra plugs, coils etc etc.

That's actually the route I've been planning to go one day. I was personally going to just buy an EJ257 short block from fred beans parts and upgrade the pistons/fuel pump. Reuse my stock heads and intake manifold.

^^

When you think of it our SOHC heads flow around the same in the RPM ranges we drive in the most. And assembled SB's are getting cheaper, what you suggested has been done a member on rs25.com used a EJ257 bottom end and EJ251 heads on a turbo build. He added forged pistons and rods like you mentioned and never had any problems. Got a custom tune to handle the AVO turbo kit (the RS25 version with the TMIC and Borla Rep UEL style Up Pipe) runs error free.

Also the OP should read your WHOLE thread its been several thousands of miles and your stock 253 is still running fine!

^^

When you think of it our SOHC heads flow around the same in the RPM ranges we drive in the most. And assembled SB's are getting cheaper, what you suggested has been done a member on rs25.com used a EJ257 bottom end and EJ251 heads on a turbo build. He added forged pistons and rods like you mentioned and never had any problems. Got a custom tune to handle the AVO turbo kit (the RS25 version with the TMIC and Borla Rep UEL style Up Pipe) runs error free.

Also the OP should read your WHOLE thread its been several thousands of miles and your stock 253 is still running fine!

That's good to hear. I've heard other good things about the build as well. Saves a lot of money and time being able to retain the stock ECU as well.

So, now I'm debating on whether to piece together a turbo kit and run 6-7psi, or save up for a block and a turbo setup anyway...

I also budgeted around 5k for the next build (engine only not fuel or air) and I think I'm gonna end up with an fully built EJ257 shortblock. Other then that, the heads will be rebuilt including a valve job, head studs, aaannd some big injectors and a big turbo. Shooting for 400hp. This will be through a 6Speed and a 180 diff. Needless to say its gonna be a while lol.

But I think ill start getting a little turbo kit together. I have a turbo off a vdub I think ill use.

Question of the day: anything wrong with putting the turbo after the cat converter? I'm pretty sure the AVO kit relocates the cat, but ain't noone got time fo dat.

Sent from my MyTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

The AVO kit simply uses a custom UP to connect to the same location as your stock cat-pipe...past the cat in the manifold. IF you make a kit youll have to do this or notch your engine cradle in order to run a stock Subaru UP. You could swap cradles since your engine will be out as well.

i think ill just make an AVO style kit. but ill be boosting the 253 soon. i have a K04 turbo off a vdub, i got a free LGT hood, ill be using an STI style TMIC so i dont have to deal with a fmic and the piping. all i need is a bov, a wastegate, a custom up/down pipe and some oil lines. woo!

• 1 year later...
I've been running 6lbs, which is typically the recommended (Put me at 201whp/205wtq). I'm not sure beyond that since I haven't ever turned it up. I don't plan on it though until I build the motor for more boost. Oh and if you ever have any questions regarding the Kit and install feel free to contact me, I'm still lurking around.

That's actually the route I've been planning to go one day. I was personally going to just buy an EJ257 short block from fred beans parts and upgrade the pistons/fuel pump. Reuse my stock heads and intake manifold.

I know this thread is a little over a year old. So from what I read the stock 2.5i ej253 na models can handle the avo turbo kit up to 8 psi? How does 6psi get you 201 to the wheel with out a tune? All other say "8psi" will get you around 191-200whp "with a tune". Can someone confirm? Thank you.

I know this thread is a little over a year old. So from what I read the stock 2.5i ej253 na models can handle the avo turbo kit up to 8 psi? How does 6psi get you 201 to the wheel with out a tune? All other say "8psi" will get you around 191-200whp "with a tune". Can someone confirm? Thank you.

I'm not sure where you read someone is running a turbo kit without a tune, but you absolutely need one. Otherwise your car will be in big trouble.

6psi on my car got me to 200whp/wtq on the dyno I was tuned on. Different dynos give different results.

6psi is generally the safe limit on the n/a blocks, but 8-10psi has been run before. With a really good tune you can probably manage 8psi, but your more likely to run into issues if longevity of the motor is on your list. I'm not sure where you're sourcing your info from, but other than Paul testing it out, I haven't seen anyone run 8psi (for a long duration) on the newer cars with the turbo kit. If I ran 8psi that would put me around 225whp/wtq, but I'm not interested in the added risks.

I'm not sure where you read someone is running a turbo kit without a tune, but you absolutely need one. Otherwise your car will be in big trouble.

6psi on my car got me to 200whp/wtq on the dyno I was tuned on. Different dynos give different results.

6psi is generally the safe limit on the n/a blocks, but 8-10psi has been run before. With a really good tune you can probably manage 8psi, but your more likely to run into issues if longevity of the motor is on your list. I'm not sure where you're sourcing your info from, but other than Paul testing it out, I haven't seen anyone run 8psi (for a long duration) on the newer cars with the turbo kit. If I ran 8psi that would put me around 225whp/wtq, but I'm not interested in the added risks.

I read your posting wrong I thought you were saying haven't tuned it yet. But you said turned it up.

Archived