LegacyGT.com

08' Legacy GT Spec B.. Stage II (the good, the bad, the ugly)

dahane

08' Spec B is currently running (hah or not so much right now),

- Custom 3" straight through cat-back w/3" single tips

- Invida straight through cattless down pipe

- K&N panel filter with silencer removed

- Toyo Proxy4 (225-18-45) on stock wheels

- 3.5" feed to stock air box capped, with 1/8" vent to atm

- Cleared and cleaned HL's

- New HID bulbs

- Blacked out TL's (white fin only)

- Stock Grill Custom Painted w/Flat Back Paint

- Yellow front blinkers replaced with clear bulbs

- Silenced Seatbelt Chime (duct tape fixes all)

OK SO HERE WE GO:

I sent my car in to my shop to get a full dynojet tune, and my downpipe installed. Everything was going great, they said they put it up for a few pulls after the install monitoring boost and air/fuel with no prob or knock. I then got a call saying the stock software wiped clean when they had gone to flash the new map on my 08' ECU. They sent it out to Washington State to be bench flashed back to stock, and everything should work out for the better but for now its a big downer, and a little unsettling.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their 08' Spec B's or STI's??? :confused:

I should be getting my car back later tmrw, and will post my pulls and some recent pics. I should be pulling 300lb's of tq and be at around 260-270bwh after they finish their tune hahaha right up there with the Stage II 08' STI's and their VF46 :cool: Can you say sleeper?!

In addition..

I was also told that I am the first 2008 Spec B to get a custom dynojet tune for Stage II, is this true??

I know of a handful of Spec B's that have had commercial tunes through AccesPort Software, but haven't read or seen much on custom maps like my own, can anyone clear this up?

Share any thoughts?

If anyone has had similar issues feel free to chime in, would be appreciated...

Well every dyno is different so you could put down 260-270 whp, and go to another dyno and put down quite a bit more or less depending on conditions and calibrations. But dont get your hopes up on being on par with a dyno tuned stg2 08 STI, thats just not reasonable, they have bigger turbos. As for clarification the 07-08 lgts have vf46s, the 08 sti has the vf48, which is a more powerful turbo. As for your initial problem, no i havent heard of any ecu's wiping themselves on dyno pulls.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

agreed that the sti is an overall more powerful platform but they are very similar... only major differences are turbo inlet design, turbo, ECU stock map, and cam/valve timing..... as far as turbo setup I'm not 100% that your right about LGT and STi turbo stock setup...

I will post my pull when i get my car back and make comparisons with currently stage 2 STi's dynojet tuned on this forum.. power differences between the two should be within 25-35Hp, an with similar tq..

An to my knowledge 08 spec b is running with a vf22 turbo, and the sti's run vf46's? anyone want to second this statement..

agreed that the sti is an overall a more powerful platform but are very similar... only major differences are turbo inlet design, turbo, ECU stock map, and cam's..... as far as turbo setup I'm not 100% that your right about LGT and STI turbo stock setup...

I will post my pull when i get my car back and make comparisons with currently stage 2 STi's.. power differences between the two should be within 15-25Hp..

An from my knowledge and shop info 08 spec b is running with a vf22 turbo, and the sti's run vf46's? anyone want to second this statement..

No sir you have the same turbo that all 07-08 LGTS, including specb's, the VF46. the VF22 i believe is a JDM twin scroll model. The vf48 is what is in the USDM 08 sti. And you prolly wont make it that close to a stage 2 STI. The intercooler on an STI is bigger and the turbo is bigger. I mean i dont mean to put you down at all but dont expect to run the same or close to a stg 2 08 sti. I got my protune done, granted i'm an auto, but all i got up to is STOCK 04-07 sti power levels.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

huh well thats interesting news to find out..

lucky for me then that few ppl that own sti's in my area dont do much with their new 08's

Never heard of the ECU getting wiped out on a dyno. What flashing software are they using? Who's tuning the car? And who is reflashing your ECU in Washington state?

MSPT/Clark Turner Tuned

ill find out an post back with that info

Lot of misinformation going on in here.....

Sounds like he was getting a Opensource ECU flash (reason why it was sent to WA). There was a bug in the original release for the new 2.0 cables. The bug has since been fix and now all is well. I thought only one person bricked there ecu but I guess there was more.

Lot of misinformation going on in here.....

Sounds like he was getting a Opensource ECU flash (reason why it was sent to WA). There was a bug in the original release for the new 2.0 cables. The bug has since been fix and now all is well. I thought only one person bricked there ecu but I guess there was more.

Checkout the Infamous Mobile

The real "Bro Tuner"

that really opens up why/whats been going on.?

hmmm, i just hope i get it back tmrw

Infamous1

should I be worried about my ECU being erased, or bricked as you put it..hah?

It be nice to know if now that my ecu has been open-source re-flashed if i will have any issues with the dealership noticing any odd code, or more then they would have if they hadn't bricked my ecu

I would not recommend any ECU or other modifications until you've researched and fully understand the results of it. It sounds like you don't really know what's going on with your car, and that would be a sign of a shop that isn't explaining things very well to you. You should also be asking them all of these questions.

With that agressive HP/TQ number, you might have to take a look into purchasing a Aftermarket TMIC also.

Once it blows on the dyno, you might acutally end up with less HP....

Or you can JB Weld it like some of the people in this forum, but reliability of a stocker would definitely be a concern.

Infamous1

should I be worried about my ECU being erased, or bricked as you put it..hah?

It be nice to know if now that my ecu has been open-source re-flashed if i will have any issues with the dealership noticing any odd code, or more then they would have if they hadn't bricked my ecu

No, there is no need to worry in my opinion. They will bench flash the ecu with a stock rom image.

However take note to this post by one of the developers for RomRaider about the new ECUs.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23674955&postcount=262

VF22 is just a really big IHI turbo. Slow spool, people make low-mid 300whp off them. Nothing really special about it beyond being abnormally large for the VF series.

Thank you very much! See that was helpful, i was wrong you corrected me, and now i, and the op, are better off for it. Now i can make better assumptions about things.

Thank you also for not just telling me to stop posting. Because talking, as suggested by another member, would just be very difficult to do on a text based forum.

Were all getting a little off track no..haha

putting all these debates aside it looks as if i wont see my car till sunday night or so,

i'll post back with picks and pulls

thanks everyone for your help, an I still feel like my numbers will be competitive with that of a stage II 08' STi (and if not, i a least know the legt looks better) hah

As far as I know, Stage 2 08 STIs are putting down in the 315-340whp range. It's a healthy trip from 250whp to the 320 range.

I wish I could find it off STLSubaru, but a member there, RAZORBACK, I believe took his 08 Stage 2 up to P&L and they took it up to 350, before tuning it back down for safety reasons.

On a dynojet, you're putting down the correct numbers for a Stage 2. If that's a mustang/dyno dynamics, you're running pretty hot -- and probably need to question the safety of the tune.

Archived