LegacyGT.com

225/45's or 235/40's on stock wheels?

mattg

before you say they're too wide for a 7" rim, know that the guy at Americas Tire said they would fit just fine.

you can also take a look at my last car, which had 17x7 factory wheels wearing Kumho 712's in 235/40-17.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/carstuff/MVC-001S.JPG

seems to me that the shorter 235/40's would be closer to stock o.d. and offer better looks and performance.

thoughts?

The tires I'm getting are Yokohama S drives. They're giving me $200 trade in on my 85% RE92's. ;)

I did 225/45 Conti's on my stockers for a bit. They looked a bit balloonish but I think that was because of the design of the Conti's sidewall. They still look a bit tall even mounted on my 17X8's. I think if you had them on a previous car with a similar set up you've answered your own question. Bigger contact patch sounds like the best plan.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I've done 225/45 on stock rims and 235/40 on aftermarket (17x8) rims (and I've even done 225/40 on 17x8 rims, not that I'd recommend that). The 235s may be closer to the stock OD, but I found that the 225 seems to make the spedo read more accurately, as it tends to read slightly high from the factory.

If you are in an area where potholes might be a problem, the 225 might be a better choice for that reason.

Another thing to consider, I think 235/40 might look a little weird at stock ride height. But, that's just personal opinion.

Id probably stick with the 225/45 myself. As far as performance, I bet it would be pretty close. Since the wider tire will not sit as "stretched" <---I use this term loosely on the rim, the lower sidewall vs. the narrower 225 with a taller sidewall will not matter much. I'm sure that the higher profile, less wide tire will be cheaper also, from a cost standpoint. I've ran the stock 205s on my car, 235s on 8.5s, and now 255s on 8.5s. The narrower 235s were awesome compared to the pretty good 255s. Just my .02...:)

• 2 months later...

Did you every end up installed 235/40/17's on your stock wheels?

I found some hankook ice bears in 235/45/17 that I want to use as my fall/winter/spring setup on my stock wheels :-) I am thinking that will give me a good compromise between dry and cold weather handling.

Archived