LegacyGT.com

Spec-b Bilsteins vs Megans vs Bilstein HDs - My Review

LowFast

Spec-b Bilstein vs. Megan Coilover vs. Bilstein HDs

Well, as probably one of the few to have both the Spec-B Bilsteins and the HDs on the same car as well as rolling on the Megans for 10k+ miles I though I would post up my review and thoughts on each that may help others in making the right suspension choice for their needs. My experience was that of goldilocks, first to little, second too much, third, just right.:rolleyes:

Stock Spec-B Bilsteins w/ H-Techs (too little)

The ride with the stockers, well rode like stock. Good control but a bit floaty on the highway and definitely some lean in the turns. I “upgraded” springs to H-Techs, which seemed like a decent match and were good for everyday driving. Definitely a nice set-up for comfort but still a little too much float and body roll. I did have this set-up on an autocross course; it performed predictably but again, could have been stiffer.

Ride Quality: Excellent

Looks/Stance: Ok (Ride height will never look as slick as coilovers)

Adjustability: None

Handling: Far better than a stock GT, but not a racecar by any means.

Megans – Coilovers Baby! (Too much)

I was stoked to get the Megans; I thought they would be the answer to the “floating” issue as well as the ability to get a killer stance. Well, I was rewarded with both, the handling and the stance that I wanted. I never got these on the track but on ramps, long sweeping turns, and back roads the handling is just awesome. I love the control and the road feel. The stance, perfect, or at least you have the ability to make it sit however you want. The highway ride was also improved, no more float even at high speed! The upside was also the down side. Now let me preface this with the fact that Downtown Dallas has some of the worst roads I have ever driven on, including Detroit. The Megans like smooth roads and are comfortable enough, but when the roads turn bad the ride degrades considerably. The pillow ball mounts combined with the stiffer springs and valving result in a less than compliant ride. If I were still young and single I would put up with it for the handling, but as the family rig, this was just not cutting it. So off with the Megans, someone will be getting a killer deal on such a low mileage set, and on to the next combo.

Ride Quality: Acceptable on smooth roads, but too harsh for the crap roads of Dallas.

Looks/Stance: Perfect

Adjustability: 32 flavors of dampening and infinite height.

Handling: Awesome handling compared to the Bilstein set-up. I really wish I had gotten these on a track.

Blistein HD’s with Progress Springs (just right)

So once the wife said no more on the Megans it was time to find a new solution. I could go back to the Spec-Bs but they cost an arm and a leg. Therefore, I thought I would try the HD’s. Also decided to go with Progress springs, very few on the boards use them but after my experience, I don’t know why. The Bilstein HD’s ride is absolutely perfect. They are stiffer than the Spec-Bs but much more compliant over large potholes and bumps than the Megans. On the highway, they do not float and in the city, they are never harsh. I would say the Spec-Bs give you an Audi ride and the HD’s more of an BMW M3 feel. Road feel is excellent without the vibration/harshness of the Megans. As for the Progress springs, perfect! Many say the spring rate is too low, almost stock, but these are progressively wound springs so yes the first inch of travel is like stock, nice and smooth. However, in the second inch of travel the spring rate almost doubles, so now you have the handling of a much stiffer spring. For me these are an awesome match with the HD’s. The front does sit about ½” higher than the rear because of the Spec-B top hats but it still looks level to the eye, an extra spring seat in the back would solve this issue. The quality of the powder coat on the springs is perfect, overall they seem like a high quality product and at $180 to my front door, they were a killer deal.

Ride Quality: Perfect, compliant on the rough stuff but able to take the corners like the coilovers.

Looks/Stance: More even than the H-Techs but still not as cool looking as the coilovers

Adjustability: None

Handling: Great for an everyday driver with a little track time thrown in.

Conclusion

I also must say I upgraded the rear bar to the Ralitek unit and it has been a great compliment to the HDs and Progress springs. Once I get this set-up on a track or autocross I will let you know how it compares to the original Spec-B set-up.

So for those who are considering dropping the huge coin for the Spec-B set-up, IMHO save the cash and go with the HDs (use the money you save for sways) you will not be disappointed. If you are going coilover, they are great but at least in my experience, there is a trade off for the handling and looks.

Hope that helps.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say your conclusion between the USDM Spec-B Bilsteins vs. the HDs is exactly what I encountered. For no more than ~$1,100 you can have HDs + your choice of springs (Pinks for me) and it's notcibly better than the SpecB suspension without any discernible sacrifice in comfort.

No, $180 was just for the springs. The whole package was closer to a grand. I am selling the Megans to offset some of the cost.

I thought about the KWs but I did not want to have to go to a 4th suspension so since I was happy with the Bilsteins I decided to head back down that road.

JDM SpecB+springs can be had for $700 or so shipped. For wagon owners especially (wagon specific rear springs) having an OEM matched setup of shocks and springs from the I perspective is pretty sweet. Depending on what year (rev) you get, you can go fairly mild to wild in terms of stiffness.

I have RevAs, and while some say they are too stiff, I think they handle NE roads better than stock, no crashing to the bump stops on bigger bumps. A bit more jiggly on the smaller stuff though. Very mild on the drop as well, which is good for getting up those fire roads.

Ayup, used...with 5K on them, but that also includes tophats and matched springs. For a couple of hundred less than complete HD deal, you get a complete OEM setup with decent ground clearance, and OEM wagon specific springs. Rebuilding is the same price as well.

Certainly not something to get if you don't want used obviously, but there's a decent amount of them available, and it might be a good solution for some folks, just putting it out there.

Especially for the wagon crowd. I will say that so far my experience with anything Bilstein has been positive. They may not be cheap but you get what you pay for and I have been impressed. Thinking of changing over the Bilsteins on my other ride.

Especially for the wagon crowd. I will say that so far my experience with anything Bilstein has been positive. They may not be cheap but you get what you pay for and I have been impressed. Thinking of changing over the Bilsteins on my other ride.

Yup, I'm a multi user of Bilsteins too. I've had them on my first Miata, HDs on my VW Eurovan Camper, PSS-9 coilovers on my current miata. All were/are excellent . I'm still trying to decide whether to get Hds or Konis for my '05 LGT Wagon.

$510 for the HDs

Where can you get HDs for $510; when I checked Tirerack.com (probably not the best place to go price-wise for suspension parts but I'm at work right now so I don't have a lot of free time...) had them for a total of $870 or something like that...

Where can you get HDs for $510; when I checked Tirerack.com (probably not the best place to go price-wise for suspension parts but I'm at work right now so I don't have a lot of free time...) had them for a total of $870 or something like that...

thekingofparts has a complete package which includes more than just the HDs for $750.....http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Detail?no=728

Add another who agrees with the Bilstein Spec B vs HD assessment. I had the USDM Spec Bs for a couple weeks before I replaced the fronts with HDs (installer snapped the top of the shaft off using an air wrench).

Ran both with Swift springs, but I'd rate the ride with the Spec Bs a bit more comfortable over a wider variety of surfaces; the HDs are a bit stiffer, with a bit more in control in quick transitions, but over washboard-like surfaces especially are a bit more jarring. (But this is partly due to the Swift sway bars I'm running now too.)

If ride is super important to you, then I'd say the Spec Bs are a better choice -- if you can find them used. If you have to pay full dealer price though, the HDs are a way better deal, and you won't be disappointed by the improvement in handling...

I had the USDM Spec Bs for a couple weeks before I replaced the fronts with HDs (installer snapped the top of the shaft off using an air wrench).

By the way, I still have these if someone wants them -- USDM Bilstein Spec Bs, front struts only (no top hats).

As mentioned though, the shaft on one is broken off -- right about where the depth of the allen key fitting begins. But there's enough thread for about three-quarters of the nut to grab. (And I still have the 1/4-inch portion that broke off if you want to try a repair...)

$510 for the HDs, ~$200 for the progress springs....what, maybe $200-300 for the install/alignment?

That sounds like a very nice upgrade for $1000...how much do the Progress lower the car?

Joe

Progress springs are rated for a 1.3" drop in the front and 1.0" in the rear. 200 pounds in the front and 330 in the rear.

thekingofparts has a complete package which includes more than just the HDs for $750.....http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Detail?no=728

That page says it does not include springs so in reality it's not a "COMPLETE" package. But I see their point, at least you don't have to hunt and peck for all the other parts you need. So it comes to about $750 (Bilstein package), $200 (Progress springs) and about $250 (alignment / install). Not bad... Anyone know if these fit on a 2.5i? (I'm sure the struts are the same but just want to make sure.)

Archived