LegacyGT.com

Newbie with a new LGT... have a couple questions...

I didn't want to post any questions until I had contributed something positive to the board, but unfortunately I don't have a digi cam to post pics yet and I'm getting concerned about a couple things. The M3 went back to my father about a month ago, and I was fortunate enough to replace it with a Legacy GT Limited 5MT. I love the car, of course its not quite as quick as the M3, but I know it has tons of potential and its a blast. I just had a couple questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. Its been pretty cold here and when I turn the car on, it immediately makes a faint rattling noise from the front left part of the engine for anywhere between 10-30 seconds before disappearing as the car settles. This happens more noticably as it gets colder. Any idea what this is? Has anyone else experienced it? Furthermore, at about 25 degrees outside, it idles around 1600 rpms for a bit before settling down, is this normal? Also, I've gotten some clutch stink, but I know this has already been noted (clutch delay valve?), and if I drive it nicely it usually doesnt happen. Thirdly, they said I don't need to have it serviced until 6,000 miles for my first oil change. Is this ok, or should I get it changed before that and if so, with what kind of oil? Thats all I can think of right now, sorry for the long post. I'll try to contribute as much as possible in the future, you guys have a great community here. :)

welcome to legacygt.com

to expedite your questions:

1. go to the search button way up top next to "quick links"

2. click on it once

3. click "advanced search"

4. go to the left where it says "search by key word"

5. type in -- clutch stink

6. go down to the bottom and click on "search now"

7. next time you want to ask a question it is easier if you list them

have great time here

-red beast-

Those noises are normal, so long as they stop, especially once the engine warms up.

It is supposed to idle high for a while till it warms up a little, once you start driving the idle will normalize.

Most people here do an oil change every 3000 miles...as stated in your owners manual.

Some people do their first change at 1000 miles. Alot of people switch to synthetic. I am one of those people. It seems to run smoother.

as red beast pointed out, most of us are fed up with clutch stink issues. It stinks when you slip it too much, deal with it or buy an aftermarket clutch.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Thanks for the replies. The clutch stink wasn't really a question, I just threw it in there. I didn't search for it because I already read the threads that pertained to it. From what I understand, its not the actual clutch that causes the problem anyway. Otherwise, I appreciate the quick responses, thanks for the help guys. ;)

G'Day 02///M3 and Welcome to the land of GT.

Yes the engine noises can be normal and the clutch smell is something of a mystery. I hope the MY06 and beyond dont continue to have this issue.

Most of these noises and smells will disappear the more you drive the GT and once you have a few services under your belt. All the best with it but if you do have any further questions, just ask away.

All the very best.

Adam.

PS Sorry to hear that you lost the M back to your Dad, sure is an amazing M. FYI, I am also a MOD over @ M3Forum.com if you ever want to take a looksee and what your missin. Hope the GT fills for void though, Im sure it will and is.

welcome to legacygt.com

to expedite your questions:

1. go to the search button way up top next to "quick links"

2. click on it once

3. click "advanced search"

4. go to the left where it says "search by key word"

5. type in -- clutch stink

6. go down to the bottom and click on "search now"

7. next time you want to ask a question it is easier if you list them

have great time here

-red beast-

Awfull chilly in here, ain't it?

Welcome lil' fella'!

1. didn't mean it to be "chilly"

2. it was more advice. he was asking simple questions which could have been found with a search.

3. a lot of people pass a thread which ask previously asked questions. so maybe thread would have gone unanswered making US all seem "chilly" to him.

4. listing your questions is easier to pick out and read. just a helpful thought.

and i did spend the time to get each step for him.

that's all nothing more.......move along.....nothing to see here.

1. didn't mean it to be "chilly"

that's all nothing more.......move along.....nothing to see here.

Ahhhhh...the heats back on.:) Just bustin' your chops, beast.

Ya know, when one deliberates for a moment...really everthing...I mean EVERYTHING is WTLW. So, sometimes we gotta slow the train down a bit, even if we've all been by that station a million times.

Thanks for letting me wax philosophic.

Thanks for the post Adam. And I understand exactly what Red Beast is saying, I surf a lot of boards that I'm not a member of, and I know what how people on forums usually feel about this stuff, I just misstated the clutch stink thing. As for the M3, I surf e46fanatics.com a lot, but I'm definitely gonna check out M3forums, although it might make me a little depressed now :lol: But as soon as I'm comfortable modding the Leg I'm sure it will be more than on par with the M, plus its still in the family so its not too bad;) . Cheers.

P.S. As soon as I do anything special to the car and I get back to NY I'll post up a couple pics (thinking about a front lip when more options come about), but I'm sure you alll know what a stock Black LGT looks like. :D

Archived