LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon Suspension swapped into Outback XT

Duffman

• Moderators
OK, and this is just for the fronts, to install koni insets in OB strut bodies, you need to take up the extra space on the bottom of the strut with a spacer and then use a longer bolt to secure the space on the body. no sure how long the spacer needs to be but if i had a koni insert, a lgt shock and an OB shock, i could measure and find out. this is assuming the tube diameter of the shock bodies are the same.

I was at a machine shop this afternoon and was actually thinking about this...I'm sure they could machine a drop-in spacer that would match the same angles on koni insert and the bottom of a strut housing that would work pretty well.

I have both OBXT and LGT front struts in the garage, do you know exactly what would need to be measured? Just the overall cartridge length?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

modify a LGT housing to accept a koni insert, then do the same modification on the OB housing. measure the depth of each housing from the top to the bottom of the inside and the difference is how thick the spacer should be.

Can you measure your ride height front/rear from hub to fender and post up the numbers?

In the thread I linked, #25...

Here's a link to the Koni instructions.

As mentioned though, you will have problems at the rear as the Koni rears are complete struts replacements. A saggy butt spacer will need to really long, a matter of inches.

Edited by dschultz

• Moderators
In the thread I linked, #25...

Here's a link to the Koni instructions.

As mentioned though, you will have problems at the rear as the Koni rears are complete struts replacements. A saggy butt spacer will need to really long, a matter of inches.

15 3/8" front and 15 1/4" rear? That's with no spacers at all? I'm at 14" front and 14.5" rear currently. If your set up has no spacers I'd love to do the same thing and throw in a 3/8" or 1/2" spacer in the rear to see how things end up looking.

Also, not sure what you are saying with regards to the problem with using koni rears. If you swap completely to an LGT spec suspension, i.e. konis, you shouldn't need a huge rear spacers.

15 3/8" front and 15 1/4" rear? That's with no spacers at all?
Yes as I have the original OBXT springs in there not LGT springs which are softer.

If you haul around adults or gear or pull a trailer often then you could put a 1/2" spacer in the rear for a little extra ride height which will also keep you off the bump stops.

Also, not sure what you are saying with regards to the problem with using koni rears. If you swap completely to an LGT spec suspension, i.e. konis, you shouldn't need a huge rear spacers.
I was just referring to the few posts about putting Koni in OBXT bodies. Nothing to do with a full LGT swap.

for those worried about spring perch/tire clearance, using spec b takeoffs would get you that clearance since the bils have a a higher bottom spring perch in the front compared to regular LGT units.

So Spec B OEM Bilsteins have higher lower spring perch than OEM GT struts. Are the HDs the same as the OEM Spec B Bilsteins or the OEM GT struts?

all 3 shocks are different, bu the HD's and the OEM spec b's have the same shock body design with the higher lower spring perch. by using s shorter top hat and slightly shorter front spring, the ride height is not affected and an overall larger wheel/tire diameter can fit.

all 3 shocks are different, bu the HD's and the OEM spec b's have the same shock body design with the higher lower spring perch. by using s shorter top hat and slightly shorter front spring, the ride height is not affected and an overall larger wheel/tire diameter can fit.
Why would you want a larger diameter tire on a DD? This will through the speedo off. 245/45-18 is the same diameter as the stock 225/55-17 on the OBXT and it fits without issue when mounted on a wheel with the correct offset.

• Moderators
Why would you want a larger diameter tire on a DD? This will through the speedo off. 245/45-18 is the same diameter as the stock 225/55-17 on the OBXT and it fits without issue when mounted on a wheel with the correct offset.

I think he's referring to larger-than-lgt tires, i.e. outback-sized tires. The suspension bits being discussed are lgt-spec, but the tires being discussed are obxt-spec, hence larger tires.

barman you might get a hold of fenominal (jason davis) he is out in CA and had some custom outback suspension stuff done by a well known company out there.

There are some pics on the forum.

Contact him, tell him Greg sent you and he can tell you what they did.

It was really nice from what I remember.

• Moderators
barman you might get a hold of fenominal (jason davis) he is out in CA and had some custom outback suspension stuff done by a well known company out there.

There are some pics on the forum.

Contact him, tell him Greg sent you and he can tell you what they did.

It was really nice from what I remember.

Yeah, something with konis and ground control springs, right?

Ok, so forgive my ignorance, but I've been toying with the idea of picking up some of these. What else would I need to run them, just Spec B tophats, correct?

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-2328/Bilstein-B6-05-dsh-09-Subaru/Detail

Yep. Well, springs too of course :)

Before I got the Bilsteins, I did not know that the perch was higher than the LGT. I'm glad it was, otherwise there is no way my tires would have cleared.

Edited by Danteneon

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

^a good way to find out is to see if any spec b guys are running that size on the stock suspension.

I think with the right wheel offset it will fit.

I thought about that, but I seriously doubt any of them are on that big of a tire. Lol!

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

Gotcha. Still hadn't decided on springs yet.

I didn't know about the spring perch until recently, but that's good to know. I wonder if it'll allow 245/45/18.

It will. That is the size I am running.

Pics? Wheel specs?

Wonder no more...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/danteomni/Car%20Pics/OBK/IMAG0268_zps6fa6b640.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/danteomni/Car%20Pics/OBK/IMAG0269_zps945138f2.jpg

That is 245/45/18 with Spec B struts. They clear fine and are the closest size to stock OBK diameter.

My wheels are Enkei Kojin 18 x 8.5. 45 offset