LegacyGT.com

Adding non-OEM Subaru subwoofer to Outback XT

therimgreaper

Note: I tried to search this forum as well as others but couldn't find any clear answers, which is why I'm creating a new thread. Direct me if there are any threads I missed.

I am trying to add a factory subwoofer to my Outback XT - I've read quite a bit and I'm not looking for booming bass, just "a little more" to my car. The biggest draw is the plug and play simplicity with the factory sub.I've looked at Subaru Parts Warehouse and the like and see that the factory subwoofer for the Legacy/Outback has not changed in price since it was first available over ten years ago... so I'd rather find one used for cheaper on eBay. I'm seeing that while there are only a few under seat subs for the Legacy/Outback, there are quite a few for the Impreza.

My question is, are these underseat subs all the same? If they are different, can I assume that the harness for the Outback head unit work the same as one from an Impreza or the like?

Are the mounting brackets specific to the car the sub is designed for, or can I assume that a mounting bracket from an Impreza sub will work just as well in my Outback? If not, then I am assuming that I don't need to use the bracket and instead use velcro to attach the sub to my floor. Does the bracket function as a ground for the sub or is that unnecessary?

Archived