LegacyGT.com

ABS activates at 10mph??

I have a 1998 Legacy GT and I am having troubles with the ABS.

After getting my clutch replaced and a bunch of other parts that didn't need to be replaced and being overcharged, I get my car back and the the ABS is acting up. The ABS activates when I am braking from 10-5 mph. I can feel the pedal vibrate and it is pretty consistant unless the ABS light is on. When the light is on the ABS doesnt activate but I am pretty sure at that point it is not functional. The brakes seem totally fine, pads probably need to be replaced, but the car stops fine and drives normally otherwise.

The ABS was totally fine prior to the shop so I take it back to them figuring they forgot to plug something in. They told me the wheel bearing was so worn that it is messing up the ABS sensor. So they would replace both for another $850 after already spending $1800 on the clutch and other stuff. That made me pretty upset so, I check out another shop. They said the bearing was totally fine and did not need replacing and all the sensors looked totally fine. He did replace the ball joint because it was worn but he couldnt figure out anything with the ABS. He checked the computer too and couldnt fine any faults in the system.

So, the ABS was not fixed, it still activates at 10mph and turns off at 5 mph as long as the ABS light is off and when it is on it doesnt activate at all.

Does anyone know whats going on? Im not too worried about it and probably will keep driving it this way but i want to make sure I am not causing problems down the road.

And BTW, do not go to Pacific Rim in Seattle. They overcharged, probably replaced parts that were just fine and after taking the car back to them wanted to replace more parts that weren't broken to probably not fix the ABS problem.

Andys Automotive on Aurora is way better. He said he would have done all that clutch stuff for $1000 rather than $1800.

I had a ABS issue. i couldnt figure it out and everything looked ok. I went a head a pulled each abs sensor to find one falling apart after i pulled it. (it look fine just looking at it) I replaced both sensors and i didnt have the problem after.. when your abs light is on everything still works just no abs.. so be ready to slide if u slam on the brakes..

Archived