LegacyGT.com

AC hissing

klaus

Hi,

After about 500 mile drive a couple of weekends ago, the air conditioning started to make a quiet hissing sound when on. It sounds similar to a vacuum when you pull the pipe off and it sucks air at the wrong place (much quieter obviously). If I switch the AC off, the noise is gone.

Any ideas? I plan to take it to the service next week, but just wanted to get your opinion before I go there.

Thanks,

Klaus.

Hi,

For all those that experience the same symptoms: there was no freon. The dealership couldn't find a hole or anything so they put dye in it and now we'll see what happens in the future. If it repeats, they'll investigate.

Klaus.

if it lost it's refrigerant charge there is a leak. unless some jackass forgot to charge it at the factory! the dye is to find the leak. run the AC daily for say, 36 hours total operation time. then bring it back for them to find the leak with the blacklight. the dye is flourescent and comes out with the oil that is also leaked with the refrigerant charge.

Same exact problem here... Weds was the first really warm day of the year and I had nothing but warm air blowing when I tried to use my A/C. I also have the hissing sound this is b/s as my car is a little over a year old but of course its out of warranty as it has 45K miles. Dealer claims its gonna cost $89.95 to have it "Evacuate" and recharged.

Archived