LegacyGT.com

Rust on rotors question?

May be you should keep them coated with oil and don't drive the car. The oil will keep them from rusting.

I guess you've never seen what happens to bare metal when it is exposed to moisture.

You must be new to disc brakes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

that part of the rotor doesnt have contact with the pads so braking wont take that off.. they sell rotors that are zinc plated so that part of the rotor doesnt rust, but besides getting new ones, i dont think there any real "safe/recomended" way to get rid of the rust. light sanding - off balance, painting - heat/cooling problems.

that part of the rotor doesnt have contact with the pads so braking wont take that off.. they sell rotors that are zinc plated so that part of the rotor doesnt rust, but besides getting new ones, i dont think there any real "safe/recomended" way to get rid of the rust. light sanding - off balance, painting - heat/cooling problems.

So you think he's talking about that small area next to the hat and the outter edge. Boy some people don't realize that's why some of us paint the rotors yearly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you mean the rust that reappears on your rotor contact surface after driving them, that is normal for these cars. I have read the rotors have a higher iron content, so that is why they appear to rust moreso, and quicker than other cars.

If you mean the rust on the hats of the rotor, as many have mentioned, that can be painted.

Have center caps and was just curious so many people are such assbags just asked a simple question... But ya hi go **** your self Kk thanks!

Dont be so thin skinned. I saw many more helpful/informative replies than sarcastic ones.

If you asked this question on NASIOC there would be 15 pages of assbags insulting you, so you should be thankful!

Constructive answer:

Remove the rotors and clean the rust off with the device of your choice.

Paint the rotors with exhaust header or caliper paint. You can tape up most of the swept area, but it's not necessary. If you do, leave some of the swept area on the inside uncovered so the pads will cut a clean line around the rotor.

Cure the paint according to directions.

Reinstall rotors.

Take them out on the highway to sweep the paint clear and rebed the brakes.

Enjoy rust-free tophats that look good.

^ That works for a year or so, but that is what most of us do.

Op, Sorry I sounded so harsh.

This was almost as good as when people ask if it's ok to get soap on the intercooler when they wash the car...LOL

Archived