LegacyGT.com

You call that a Horn?

Salty

Anybody know where the horn(s) are located on a new Legacy? I am going to yank this out as soon as possible and put something more aggressive in. Also, I would really like to up the noise the turn signal makes. Is it liely a louder flasher would be a plug in mod? Thanks, Bob.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll find out as soon as my Hella SuperTones get here. From the sound, they're on the passenger side, probably under the snorkus. Should have checked when I had it off the swap bulbs. Kevin

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']what's the deal with people upgrading thier horn? i just don't understand it. enlighten me.[/quote] I don't use my horns very often. But when I do, it is because there is a dangerous situation. In that instance, I want to be heard...loudly and without question. The stock GT horns don't do that. The WRX horns, for example, are significantly louder than the GT's stock horns, for whatever reason. I consider horns to be safety equipment and as such, want the best ones that I can get my little hands on. Horns, for example, in Kevin's World, make a lot more sense than a boost gauge or strut tower bars. Kevin

Yes, the stock horns are wimpy. I had to use them the other day as there was some distracted driver driving out of his lane. They make this tepid "meeep" sound. I'm going to put in my Supertones this weekend. Those things are crazy loud! Ken

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm not so into the supertones sound- I'm going to find a set of horns from either a Buick Roadmaster or Caddy- [i]those[/i] are real horns!

Please let us know where the horn is ... I looked under the snorkle, didn't see it. My theory is you have to take the skid plate off to get to it. Oh, anyone tried those cheap Indian made Hella Supertones? How do they compare to the German made ones?

[quote name='bemani']Please let us know where the horn is ... I looked under the snorkle, didn't see it. My theory is you have to take the skid plate off to get to it. Oh, anyone tried those cheap Indian made Hella Supertones? How do they compare to the German made ones?[/quote] Funny you should ask...I had an interesting chat with Griot's Garage, who says they have German SuperTones, but the catalog says "stoutly made in India." There are two SuperTones, one German, with 118dB of goodness, and a higher pitch. The other is made in India under the supervision of Hella, and have a lower-pitched, 113dB blast. Susquehanna Motorsports carries both. Kevin

[quote name='bemani']Please let us know where the horn is ... I looked under the snorkle, didn't see it. My theory is you have to take the skid plate off to get to it. Oh, anyone tried those cheap Indian made Hella Supertones? How do they compare to the German made ones?[/quote] It's behind the front bumper under the (US) passenger side headlights. There are two horns, one high and one low tone.

[quote name='CombatCQB']so I guess a real horn would be a fog horn like those on cruise ships?[/quote] All the European cars that I've owned or driven have had decent horns and all the Japanesse cars I've owned or driven have had "Beep-Beep" horns, there must be a reason why?

[quote name='gtguy']Funny you should ask...I had an interesting chat with Griot's Garage, who says they have German SuperTones, but the catalog says "stoutly made in India." There are two SuperTones, one German, with 118dB of goodness, and a higher pitch. The other is made in India under the supervision of Hella, and have a lower-pitched, 113dB blast. Susquehanna Motorsports carries both. Kevin[/quote] Yeah, I was looking to buy some Supertones on rallylights.com and I saw the 2 different ones, just wondering if that $20 saving is worth it, how inferior is the Indian one construction and sound quality wise?

Guest *Jedimaster*
That's one factor- another is the safety of a decent horn and the other is the look people give you when you beep a horn from one of those older GM tugboats :o

I have always wanted to upgrade the horn in my car as well. My current MY01 is fine, pretty loud and does the job. My choice of horn would come from a supercar, like a Ferrari or Lambo. Not too sure if you have heard them before but they sound sweet, very high pitched and very loud.... And besides if its red and comes off a Ferrari, it should make the GT just go that little bit faster too.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, I just saw this on ebay. Looks like what everyone wanted. At 135db, this thing will rattle windows! [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485522291&category=26450&sspagename=WDVW[/url]

[quote name='CombatCQB']Hey, I just saw this on ebay. Looks like what everyone wanted. At 135db, this thing will rattle windows! [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485522291&category=26450&sspagename=WDVW[/url][/quote] I did something similar on my last car. Initially they sound great but after a while, the compressor starts to fade and the part of the horns that vibrate start to corrode and after a while all you get out of the horns is what sounds like a strong, windy fart. I don't know about where you live but that doesn't get much attention around here. :lol:

[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='CombatCQB']Hey, I just saw this on ebay. Looks like what everyone wanted. At 135db, this thing will rattle windows! [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485522291&category=26450&sspagename=WDVW[/url][/quote] I did something similar on my last car. Initially they sound great but after a while, the compressor starts to fade and the part of the horns that vibrate start to corrode and after a while all you get out of the horns is what sounds like a strong, windy fart. I don't know about where you live but that doesn't get much attention around here. :lol:[/quote] hahaha, never thought that far ahead. How long did yours last, was it used often? I guess for that price, it might be what you're talking about. What did you think caused the corrosion? I'm thinking if we know how they break, maybe we can do some preventive stuff to make them last longer. If this horn thing turns into a fad, I can just see people buying upgraded compressors like upgrading their audio. You'll know its bad when people complain their lights dim everytime they press the horn. :lol:

[url=http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839]May I suggest this fine piece of kit?[/url] [img]http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/products/lg/77839_LG.jpg[/img] I have it in my BMW and it's loud and scares the hell out of people when I lay into it (which I do quite often downtown) If you want to stay with something stock looking: [url=http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ord-Auto~Accessories-Cars~Horn-1-17968.htm]PIAA Sport Horn[/url] 115dB Dual Tone for $40 I would stay away from the air horns that have seperate horns, compressor and piping though. Not fun to install. [url=http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ord-Auto~Accessories-Cars~Horn-1-17968.htm]Mild upgrade from Hella[/url] [url=http://www.rallylights.com/hella/supertone_horn.asp]Then you have your supertones[/url] I'll probably buy the first one if the Leggy horn is anything like my girlfriend's wimpy little OBS horn.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Do you have to mess with relays or anything? I just want to unplug the stock horns and plug in new ones.

[quote]brady_bunch wrote: CombatCQB wrote: Hey, I just saw this on ebay. Looks like what everyone wanted. At 135db, this thing will rattle windows! [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485522291&category=26450&sspagename=WDVW[/url] I did something similar on my last car. Initially they sound great but after a while, the compressor starts to fade and the part of the horns that vibrate start to corrode and after a while all you get out of the horns is what sounds like a strong, windy fart. I don't know about where you live but that doesn't get much attention around here. hahaha, never thought that far ahead. How long did yours last, was it used often? I guess for that price, it might be what you're talking about. What did you think caused the corrosion? I'm thinking if we know how they break, maybe we can do some preventive stuff to make them last longer. If this horn thing turns into a fad, I can just see people buying upgraded compressors like upgrading their audio. You'll know its bad when people complain their lights dim everytime they press the horn. [color=red]I used to have a set of these on my Yamaha RD 350 motorcycle. Sounded like a Peterbilt. Talk about respect when I hit those things. They were awsome. The only problem was I could not use the turn signal indicators or high beam at the same time, because the alternator didn't generate enough current.[/color][/quote]

Archived