LegacyGT.com

SIA plant wins EPA award (apparently really enviro-friendly)

spieldawg

I thought this was vaguely interesting...SIA seems to at least be doing something right. From the article (which can be found here).

"Environmental topics were front and center Wednesday at Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc.

The Lafayette vehicle manufacturer received an award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and announced a partnership with Interface Inc.

"The average household in America sends more to a landfill than our entire Subaru manufacturing plant," said SIA senior vice president Tom Easterday, who explained that the company has been able to achieve zero landfill status through a combination of reuse and recycling programs.

"It's more of a regular habit for (our associates) than something they have to do. It's just a routine part of everyone's work."

Susan Mooney, representing the EPA's Region 5 office in Chicago, presented SIA with the Gold Achievement Award, which honors the top achiever among more than 100 new participants in the agency's Waste Wise program.

"Recycling is so critical," Mooney told company executives. "But you prevent the waste in the first place."

Based in Atlanta, Interface Inc. manufactures environmentally responsible floor coverings and other textiles.

In an effort to bolster their environmental commitment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions in its vehicle fleet, representatives of the company toured SIA earlier this year.

That visit resulted in an 18-month agreement to lease 100 units of the Lafayette-made Subaru Outback Limited Wagon 2.5i, which has been certified by the EPA as among the cleanest and most fuel-efficient vehicles available.

Larry Boyle, the Interface account executive who serves Indiana, has taken delivery of his new Subaru Outback model and is pleased for a number of reasons.

"I think the whole program is a great fusion of companies," Boyle said. "I get a great car. It gives me a connection locally since it's made in Indiana. It says, 'This is what we're doing.' And it shows an example."

Through the partnership with Interface, Subaru of America Inc. will sponsor the planting of thousands of trees under the Global ReLeaf program sponsored by American Forests.

"Our mission is to grow a healthier world through trees," said American Forests' marketing and development vice president Jeff Olson, who attended Wednesday's ceremonies. "For every three trees planted in this program, one ton of carbon will be eliminated.""

Archived