LegacyGT.com

Gauging Interest: LED Third Brake Lights

ArcTec34

SO I've custom made some LED third brake lights! So far I have 5 done, 4 sold, one up for grabs (anyone!?!?). If there's enough interest, I'll make another batch of 10, and we'll see from there. The unit will fit in the stock legacy sedan third brake light module.. its really easy to pop it off of the rear tray and to put this in. I have adapters so the module will plug in the standard 7440 bulb socket. Price for the first batch is $40 plus shipping, probably will be similar for the second batch

It uses Red/orange LEDs that are found in most OEM LED brake lights, and the ones I'm using for my tail light LED conversion.If you want to check out , theres some cool stuff in there http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107622

The LED unit

http://berzindesign.com/Thirdbrake/DSC04964a.jpg

In the stock fixture

http://berzindesign.com/Thirdbrake/DSC04965a.jpg

Red cover on.

http://berzindesign.com/Thirdbrake/DSC04968a.jpg

on my car (mine has a slightly staggered top row, ignore it as the new ones I'm making have 2 straight rows)

http://berzindesign.com/Thirdbrake/DSC04959a.jpg

http://berzindesign.com/Thirdbrake/DSC04962a.jpg

Batch 1:

1. flander

2. TSI+WRX

3. DarkFox1

4. RAyala

5. pillboy

If there is enough interest I will make another batch..

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can I be a bit of a troll and ask you to shrink the pictures down a bit?

also i'm kind of curious what keeps the module from flopping around inside the housing? Should we grab some double sided tape or something? I keep some around (and since LEDs produce no real heat it shoudln't be a problem) but I'm just wondering how I should mount this. :D

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

can I be a bit of a troll and ask you to shrink the pictures down a bit?

pictures shrunk

also i'm kind of curious what keeps the module from flopping around inside the housing? Should we grab some double sided tape or something? I keep some around (and since LEDs produce no real heat it shoudln't be a problem) but I'm just wondering how I should mount this. :D

I have a few types of tape and sticky stuff here, I'll send them out with pieces of whatever I find to be the best way to attach them..

cool. Another option if you're worried about heat may be to take some tiny screws and run them through the holes in the board on each side.It will damage the reflector but it will hold this thing on much more solidly.

that being said I used 3m double sided tape in my vehicle years ago and the heat actually made it STRONGER. At the end of like 3 years I couldn't seperate the 2 items w/o breaking them.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

yeah, it already LED.. so I don't know how much my LEDs would help :-p

as far as attaching it: I think double sided 3M tape it the best bet. I made the PCBs to that they fit in there snugly, and a little tape on the sides will definitely keep it in there, screws won't be needed

http://www.philipslumileds.com/products/superflux/

HPWT-DH00

anyway,

I just got the 7440 bulb sockets, everything fits perfectly. Shipping willl be a flat rate of $5.00 via USPS priority mail. that makes the total $45 USD.

my paypal is ArcTec34@gmail.com ( I think its listed under Susan Knox, mi madre) If paying with credit please add 3%

PM me when you do so, and with your shipping info!

am I missing something else? I will include 3m tape to mount... hmm.. I think that's it..

Just sent PayPal ! :)

Arc, I sent PP through direct funds transfer, so you should not have gotten hit with any fees. The Details page also shows no fees assessed.

But if you do, for whatever reason, please let me know, and I'll send the balance.

Thanks again!

-Allen

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

very nice any thoughts on making a 3 row led board?

yeah I'm sure I could, but I don't think it would look as nice, and I wanted to make something of similar brightness to a regular 3rd brake light.. more LEDs might make it really bright- if i had to stare into that in front of me at night im sure i wouldnt be too happy about it

Just sent PayPal ! :)

Arc, I sent PP through direct funds transfer, so you should not have gotten hit with any fees. The Details page also shows no fees assessed.

But if you do, for whatever reason, please let me know, and I'll send the balance.

Thanks again!

-Allen

got it!

yeah I'm sure I could, but I don't think it would look as nice, and I wanted to make something of similar brightness to a regular 3rd brake light.. more LEDs might make it really bright- if i had to stare into that in front of me at night im sure i wouldnt be too happy about it

amen.. having to use my sun visor to hide a blinding taillight really makes me mad.. I wouldn't want to do that to someone.

also.. blinking 3rd brake likes are the devil.

No need to rush for me, bruddah. :) Honest!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

PM received, looking forward to it! :D

I'll have to see how fast I can pull the CHMSL...Sara's on-service this week, and on-call this weekend. I may not get time to install until next week, unless I can do this *fast*. :(

PM received, looking forward to it! :D

I'll have to see how fast I can pull the CHMSL...Sara's on-service this week, and on-call this weekend. I may not get time to install until next week, unless I can do this *fast*. :(

really, it only takes two minutes. just pull the CHMSL housing towards you.. itll pop out,, then turn it over(you'll have some slack, the wiring harness is decently long) Then you have to compress the red lens to that it can slide out of the clip its in.. then it comes apart.. you'll figure it out from there.. taking out the bulb and such :-p and putting the new one in. make sure you test that the orientation is correct before you put it back together/tape it in!

^ I still hadn't had time to look up the Vacation Pix, yet, but with that fine description/instructions, it looks like I won't have to!

Sweet! :)

I've had mine out before when I did my carputer. We dremeled a small C shape in 1 side for the gps antenna cable. The cables actually still there. :lol: I need to take it out.

Archived