LegacyGT.com

Small Crack in Legacy Head

This picture shows a crack in the upper left corner of my valve guide, any ideas what repercussions this crack may have? it's not the guide that has cracked it's a crack in the head itself. The machine shop has said it shouldnt be a problem, anyone thinks differently?

IMG-20130302-00136.thumb.jpg.21683532fa71c0684fd39c7d6d21a329.jpg

If the machine shop has been doing this type work for a long time, I'd say you can trust them.

They are not about to let a known problem go out the door.

It's aluminum so it can be welded if needed.

We had our Honda race head welded more then you can ever imagine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

well if it works its way deeper then you need to fix it, since you'll lose compression through the crack, and oil will seep into the combustion chamber. heads that have that issue are usually junked because you'll just have to pull it out once the crack grows

• I Donated Too
A long time ago... I had a head machined and they cracked it while putting in new valve guides. They tried to claim the issue would be okay and that it didn't matter... right up until they admitted they were just hoping I'd accept a cracked head. In short... this sounds familiar.

A long time ago... I had a head machined and they cracked it while putting in new valve guides. They tried to claim the issue would be okay and that it didn't matter... right up until they admitted they were just hoping I'd accept a cracked head. In short... this sounds familiar.

did you take the head and install it as it? what was your solution to the issue?

well if it works its way deeper then you need to fix it, since you'll lose compression through the crack, and oil will seep into the combustion chamber. heads that have that issue are usually junked because you'll just have to pull it out once the crack grows

thanks for this another question though, what's the damage that will take place with oil seeping into the combustion chamber?

• I Donated Too
did you take the head and install it as it? what was your solution to the issue?

I put it on the car - I smelt coolant and I pulled the exhaust off and I could see one port was way different than the others - further inspection showed they had cracked the head into the water jacket, obviously. So after listening to the guy at the machine shop tell me a pack of lies about how the head was okay and he hadn't cracked it... I simply said, "you've been doing this for 20 plus years - you don't believe any of what you just said do you?" And he said 'No' and they obtained me another head and did the job again.

cracked-guide1.jpg.4f80fccefba3f0698c5911cdfd2dcca7.jpg

cracked-guide2.jpg.7e719940833f6ba920d82a8740ac858b.jpg

ppl where i'm from rarely rake responsibility for thing lk this the way you were provided with a new head and labor. I'm just trying to understand worse case scenarios as the crack is above the valve guide. Thanks again ppl keep it comin!!

It's aluminum, it can be welded and re-machined.

That's what I would do.

Here's my guy's name,

Mark Eastwood

eamsc@sbcglobal.net

You can email him the picture, tell him Byron Smith sent you to him and ask him what he thinks. You can trust what he says. Tell him the short story.

His brother Mike normally answers the emails, but he will tell you what Mark says. the phone is 860 749-2903, Mark normally answers the phone.

BTW, where are you from ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you can get a second opinion that'll be ideal.

Sent,

I seem to get most replys from him in the morning. I'll check tomorrow.

Here's the reply from Mike, Marks brother.

The crack doesn't look like it's in a very good place. I'll have Mark take a look........It's pretty busy here right now and he's with customers.....It may be a while..............Mike

I told Mike in the AM is fine.

He's welcome, I enjoy helping out the young guy's or those that don't have axcess to all the contacts I have made over the years.

As I have said before, I'm luck to have lived most of my life in a small town, we all know each other. Or know who to go ask if they don't know the answer.

Here's the info you were hopeing to hear, well may be not.

Here's our "armchair" diagnosis......

It's difficult to tell how far this crack extends because of the reflection in the picture. If the crack is isolated on the raised boss that centers the valve spring then it can either be left alone or can be removed with a carbide hand tool. If it extends all of the way to the valve guide you run the risk of losing the press on the guide and likewise if it extends all of the way out and under the valve spring we would believe that the head is scrap. It's hard to tell from where we're sitting. Hope that all's well.................Mike

Here's their web site.

http://www.eastwoodsautomachine.com/

Here's the info you were hopeing to hear, well may be not.

Here's our "armchair" diagnosis......

It's difficult to tell how far this crack extends because of the reflection in the picture. If the crack is isolated on the raised boss that centers the valve spring then it can either be left alone or can be removed with a carbide hand tool. If it extends all of the way to the valve guide you run the risk of losing the press on the guide and likewise if it extends all of the way out and under the valve spring we would believe that the head is scrap. It's hard to tell from where we're sitting. Hope that all's well.................Mike

Here's their web site.

http://www.eastwoodsautomachine.com/

thanks so much, now fingers crossed that this guy down here knows what he's doing. My mechanic is going based on what the machine shop says and as per them it can be left alone.

Archived