LegacyGT.com

Removing seat fabric

On the front seat of my car the cushion on the door side of the seat seems to be basically be getting cut in half by a something below it every time I get in or out of the car.

My idea was to go down to a junkyard to pick up a new seat for cheap (one nearby has 4 for $75-$60) The fabric on my seat is is perfectly fine shape and will no doubt be in better condition than the fabric of the junkyard seat, so my plan is to take the fabric from my seat and transfer it onto junkyard one.

Does anyone know how the fabric is connected to the seat and cushion? Is it just hooked on to the bottom or is it stitched on, making the replacement impractical?

they use small rings that are crimped closed to secure the seat bottom to the frame. they are referred to a ''hog nose'' rings and you install them with hog nose pliers.

why not just buy a leather driver seat and install that.

the seat from the salvage yard may be fine. replacing the fabric is a whole lot of work.

Frankly cause I had leather seats in my old car and hated them. Too hot in summer and too cold in winter. I agree they can often look better than cloth, but otherwise I don't see the appeal. Not something I'd want unless I had good AC and an automatic starter.

I'll judge the fabric when I get there, the junk yard has 2 leather and 2 fabric listed. If one of the fabric ones is in decent enough shape I won't bother transferring the fabric over. I just don't want stained or overly worn fabric when the rest of my cars interior is in good shape, wouldn't care if it was already shitty :lol:

Hmm I would like to know that too, as I said, I got leather seats from a 2001 Outback, the front should fit, but the back lool really similar, but the brackets are offby about an inch, besides being different. I was wondering if I could swap the fabric from the leathers seats to fit my seats and what kind of PITA it would involve.

This sucks because the seats I got for FREE are in like new condition.

Replacing the seat covers is no problem. HF has hog ring pliers or you can find some at the Depot in the fencing section. Find a local car upholstery shop and see if they can sell you a couple dozen hog rings.

Hardest part is taking the seat out of the car. If you can't get the 5 bolts into the floor loose, there are 4 bolts on the seat rails you could pull to get the seat out.

You need to separate the top and bottom and then use some big pliers to remove the old hog rings from the seat cover. The cover has some metal stays across the seat that you also have to pull some hog rings. You will find that those go through the foam and around a piece of metal to secure the cover.

When you have the cover off you may find what is sticking you and fix it instead of swapping it.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Well I got the 2001 OB back seats thorn appart and it wont fit, there is just too many differences in the fabric and seat models, bolts are not at same place, brackets wont bolt at same place either. Also the OB seats have a fold in arm rest built in the seat that my GT doesnt have.

To top it off, i dont even think the Head rest fit in there. I have touched the bottom part yet, I think it might fit thought.

Archived