LegacyGT.com

Gauge installation?

liljay794

Sup guys.. I want to order a boost gauge and an oil pressure gauge for my A-pillar for my car, but I don't know if I can install it myself. Should I go to a shop and install it? I got a quote for $240 dollars for 3 hours of work for a place in Neptune NJ. I am good with following directions and installing pieces, but have never done boost gauges or anything. How long do you think it will take to install it myself? Is it hard? Should I just let a shop do it? Any help is appreciated!

Mmmm it took me roughly 20 mins to install my boost gauge. But.. I'm used to doing these installs. Seeing as you aren't "sure" of yourself, I'd say it'll take 1 hour.

I wouldn't bother paying someone for it ever.. it's a good time to learn some skills and get on your back. These things are the least intrusive and difficult things to do, so do it yourself!!

hmm, depending on what you do and how fancy you want to go as for aesthetics can affect install time. for me, and it was my first time, it took me about an hour to install two gauges, one of which was boost. it was an electrical boost gauge and the hardest part was finding a way to snake wires into the dash. we found that the easiest way was to drill a small hole into the wire harness boot that is closest to the middle of the firewall, carefully and slow. and then pop the center cubby out and snake a wire hanger into the dash from the engine bay, and then tape the necessary wires and snake the wires back out into the engine bay. you can ground to the metal pillar in back and there are plenty of Vacc taps. as for your a pillar there was as post about snaking wires through a grommet in the wheel well and snaking up though the dash/pillar gap

and you get the satisfaction of putting your own blood and sweat into the car. i did electrical b/c of pro series and almost no lag compared to mech and less chance of kinked lines; you only run electrical wires, my sender is almost right next to the BOV

The first time I ever had to do a gauge install was an EGT and Boost Gauge. I was also intimidated by it, had a neighbor who knew his shit and offered to help, once I received them, he wasn't home, so I went ahead and did it myself. It actually was way easier then I thought it would be. I would say the hardest part is just locating items (if you're not familiar with under the hood/under the dash of your car). So once I found for sure where I wanted to tap into the boost line and which wire was correct for powering it, it was extremely simple.

Along with any project though, if you want it to look good, just take your time, don't rush. Maybe set a day aside on the weekend, so you got more then plenty time incase you have an issue or anything along thoughs lines, highly doubt it though since a lot of useful info has already been posted!

P.S. Make sure you go with electrical, not mechanical.

Archived