LegacyGT.com

Hitch Mounted Bike Rack

Bdubs

Finally found a combination for hitch and bike rack and installed these in less than an hour.

Hitch is a Hidden Hitch 1 1/4" new style with square bars. The bike rack is a Yakima King Pin 2 bike holder. I got it at the local BS. Only thing was the rack came with a 2" bar, so I had to buy the 1 1/4" bar separately for an extra $30. Just a couple bolts, the rack is very user friendly.

It seems to be working very well, I really didn't want a roof rack because of the chance of scratching up the roof taking the bikes on and off. This pops out of the receiver in 30 seconds, its really easy to use. It swings down for easy trunk access, although you can get the trunk open with it upright. But its also for the wagon, so I suppose this would be nice if you have the hatch. Here are some quick pics. Good choice if anyone is looking for a nice bike rack. They also make the King Pin for 4 and 5 bikes as well.

IMG_1166.jpg.8f7e41c9c358668f2a9012e8e3785722.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg.a8a55f98e861a65e87c53f28119ec852.jpg

Sorry, the site was down when I created the post. Its model #90138, best place to get it is etrailer.com. .99 shipping for it. http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partno=90138&vehicleid=7275&yearfrom=2007&h=e

It fits the sedan and wagon, excluding Outbacks. This model is for the square bars, the round bars aren't manufactured anymore. Apparently square bars enabled the hitch to have a larger max pulling weight, so round tubes were discontinued.

The Yakima rack is listed on their website for $185.00. I paid $10 less at the local BS. LIke I stated in OP, you'd have to buy the 1 1/4" adapter to fit into this hitch. Which is nice, now I have the 2" to use on my Silverado 3500. It was fine in the bed, but safer on the rack.

think i would work with SPT exhaust?

mufflers are larger then stock

You may have an issue getting the hitch above the mufflers. They just barely cleared the stocks to get it attached to the frame. You take them off the hangers to connect everything. Took a couple mins of finding the right angle to get it in between both mufflers, so the larger size may make installation more difficult.

I have a Hidden Hitch 1 1/4" receiver hitch on my LGT wagon. It occasionally drags on steeper driveway transitions, and my vehicle isn't lowered at all. :(

As far as hitch-mounted bike racks are concerned, SportWorks used to make the best hitch-mounted bike rack, but they sold their automotive line to Thule. Here's Thule's version of it:

http://www.rackwarehouse.com/t917.html

It accommodates any bike, regardless of frame design. This is unlike the bike racks that are made only to carry traditional bike frames with a horizontal top tube.

It's not possible to raise this hitch. I tried it today, and unless you want to cut up pieces of the hitch, there isn't a way to get it to connect ABOVE the towhook, which would inevitably make the hitch close to the bumper. Its no big deal, its better than having an ugly roof rack on my car all the time.

its better than having an ugly roof rack on my car all the time.

That's precisely why I prefer wagons to sedans. Sedans look stupid with roof racks, but wagons look purposeful with roof racks. I have fork-mount roof racks on my wagon and a hitch for when I need to carry my DH bike or anything else w/ a 20mm thru-axle.

Archived