LegacyGT.com

Clearing the JDM projector headlight lenses.

eekay

So, I figured I would go for it and attempt to clear my JDM headlight lenses. So, far it seems to be going alright. It's a hell of a lot of work, but I believe the results will be worth it. I'll post some pictures so you guys can see the difference. Although, the clear lens isn't quite finished, what do you think?

IMG_0032.jpg.bc3739b66f1889e257cd042c9fa50f5a.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg.a3b18e613405b5eb79c5e9c21489037c.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg.def341706ee371f81a8d7d500cef2c40.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg.fd370e465ed6e3f98592df88b6220ddf.jpg

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's exactly what I did. I'm actually kind of surprised I didn't upload the finished product. I'll upload and edit this post here in a minutes once I dig them up. :)

IMG_0041.jpg.d99d6a32c713015891131ac1c2d1460a.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg.8e490745db603de29d0b90e1973f387e.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg.68c59234a71d03b9997591545b353ab6.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg.db4dd5155e53e22d25d6cbaad8c4fb87.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg.0b4c8f33857c35c25860e011b67a9756.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg.90082f87d59afdc7e91192dacb0051e3.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg.24ab91b77fa00508080d72b3896d4d84.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
There are HID kits and projector bulbs that do both high and low. However, they are nowhere near as effective as having separate bulb housing for each. I would highly recommend going with the JDM projectors and just converting to a USDM light pattern. It'll save you A LOT of time. Depending how much your time is worth, it'll probably save you money, too. :)

It takes a small amount of time. I have a DIY written up here. If you're going to take the lights apart anyhow, you might as well make them legal. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-jdm-headlight-blackout-and-usdm-light-pattern-conversion-127120.html

• 3 months later...
Which lights are you talking about? Just the standard JDM projector headlights? If so, you can find them all over eBay and a few other JDM sites. If not, let me know exactly what you need and I'll help you out as best I can. :) Also, welcome to LegacyGT.com!

Ah! Okay. This forum is actually VERY active for the 2nd generation Legacys. Lots of die-hard fans around here. :)

As far as the lights go, these are just your standard JDM projector lights which you can find all over the internet. I did black them out, convert them to the USDM light pattern, put in LED "halos" and polish the inside of the lenses to make them totally clear though. You can definitely do it yourself with some sand paper and old fashioned elbow grease. The process is time consuming but not very difficult. In fact, there is a how-to that I wrote for all this stuff which I'll link at the bottom of this reply. I'm afraid if you wanted me to do all the work for you, I would probably charge an extra $175-ish as I would end up spending about $40 in parts (paint, sealant, halo lights, sand paper, etc...) and would probably have around 10-12 hours of actual work put into them.

So, if you want me to do them for you, let me know. I can definitely do it, it will just be more monies! However, if you decide to do it yourself, the how-to I wrote for the blacking out and USDM light pattern conversion is located below (No need to post the polishing part as you simply just sand the inside...)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-jdm-headlight-blackout-and-usdm-light-pattern-conversion-127120.html

Well, I'd need to order the headlights from eBay (About $330+$100 shipping) and then tack on the $175 for the work and then I'd need to ship them to you which I'm unsure of the price. So, in total, you're looking at around $650 or so when all is said and done.

As far as HIDs, absolutely! Just nab a nice HID kit and hook it up. They work perfectly. Just don't go over the 55w limit. Anything higher tends to burn the light housing and lenses...

Haha. Totally understandable. Like I'd mentioned, you can always try doing it yourself. It'll save you quite a bit and I have all the faith in the world you can do it. :) As far as you most recent modification, you should create a build thread and provide some pictures! I'd definitely like to see your car and I'm sure others as well!

Well everything is done except the system and the drop. I have all the system and will be doings the box build and beauty's panels for it all in one day tomorrow or the day after the coilovers are I. Shillings hopefully In by Friday. Today I had the exhaust done and rims were done this Monday that just passed paint is about a month old... But its geting there... And ill Def start a build thread... Btw know anywhere I can get a roof rack Yakima or Thule? Want one bad lol

Yeah. Every once in a while I come across super good deals on the lights. There's actually a blemished lens set on eBay that is being bid on... I suppose the blemishes wouldn't really matter if you're going to sand them down...

As far as the roof rack, you can find Yakima's all over the internet. Just google "1998 subaru legacy yakima roof rack". It appears that many companies still make these racks. As far as Thule, I'm unsure. Results varied and were somewhat stupid... As long as you already have the rails, you shouldn't have a problem finding an awesome rack. :)

Haha. Join the club. I've already dropped about 15K USD into this thing and it's nowhere NEAR finished. :) Subaru money pits FTW! \o/

Archived